Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Climbing and Descending

Two further thoughts.

(1) What I was saying wasn't built upon turbocharged engine experience. Not that I've not flown those, but to be honest not very often and it's not the start of my mindset.

(2) It's seldom actually important to be at altitude quickly. There's nothing wrong with a 75% leaned cruise-climb on 90+% of flights, then level out, and just tweak the throttle and mixture as speed builds up in level flight.

G

Boffin at large
Various, southern UK.

I use to climb at 75% power with the best power fuel flow recommended for that power setting. Since fitting an engine monitor a year ago I have changed to full power climb with full rich. The engine monitor showed me that some cylinders get a lot hotter than others and using full rich keeps the temperature down. This method means I arrive at cruise level with a cooler engine, and get there more quickly. The full power,full rich climb does not make that much difference to fuel consumption.

I would do the same in a PA28 unless the manual said differently.

I would put the carb heat on to descend and keep it on until short final. Low speed near the ground is not a time to deal with carb icing.

12 Posts
Sign in to add your message