Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Closing VFR Flighplan in the UK

on my recent arrivial in the UK I ask to have my flighplan closed
i been told that there is NO need to close FP in the UK (

as i was unsure about this i called german FIS that open FP for me and told them about the situation i got told that they never heard about it either!! and told me that they will close my FP

did i miss something?
UK has a different way for FP?

fly2000

Peter_Paul wrote:

on my recent arrivial in the UK I ask to have my flighplan closed
i been told that there is NO need to close FP in the UK (

as i was unsure about this i called german FIS that open FP for me and told them about the situation i got told that they never heard about it either!! and told me that they will close my FP

did i miss something?
UK has a different way for FP?

The UK does not provide alerting service for overdue aircraft so there is no point in closing flight plans. This is listed as a deviation from ICAO standards in AIP-UK.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That is correct for VFR (or IFR OCAS, and other variations) flight plans. I am not sure if it is true for Eurocontrol IFR when you get dropped out of CAS to land at a Class G UK airport; I imagine alerting action would take place.

I think the suggestion is that you arrange for somebody to keep an eye out for you and call the police if you vanish

But practically speaking alerting action will take place unless the destination is unmanned – because they will have the FP and will thus wonder what happened to you.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That is correct for VFR (or IFR OCAS, and other variations) flight plans. I am not sure if it is true for Eurocontrol IFR when you get dropped out of CAS to land at a Class G UK airport; I imagine alerting action would take place.

It might well work that way in practice, but the UK has notified that it doesn’t provide overdue alerting for any flights. (“Not yet implemented” is the explanation in AIP-UK.)

Funnily enough I am not sure which I prefer:

• not closing my FP in the UK and dying of starvation 10nm from the nearest Lidl
  • not closing my FP in [insert your favourite country but you can start with one really quite near the UK] and getting a €1000 bill for the S&R if there is nobody in the tower (or the fire station) who S&R could phone initially…

I can’t say I am sure the latter system actually does anything useful in practice, in Europe. In the Sahara, etc, it is a different thing.

The one time it would be really handy is if I ditched, having been flying at 200ft because I am ferrying some contraband so too low to get a radio call, and with my TXP turned off

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

not closing my FP in the UK and dying of starvation 10nm from the nearest Lidl
It is more likely you will be dying of exposure, blood loss etc. Even in central Europe I don’t think you can assume that a crash will always be noticed — particularly not in marginal weather.

I really dislike the European system, let alone the hugely more stupid UK one. The problem is that because Euro airports close plans silently for you, you never learn to take responsibility for it yourself. Until that day when as Peter says the FISO went home already.

Far, far better in the US where it’s your (VFR) plan, and your responsibility. There, the escalation sequence after 30 mins is: call the cell phone number you gave them on the plan; or call the tower or the FBO at the destination or alternates; call the local sherriff to go have a look at the airport; launch the helicopters. Apparently.

Most wonderfully, they allow you to close the plan in the air (It’s ‘your’ plan – you do what you like with it) when you are in a collected state of mind, prior to landing and getting distracted by tie downs, etc., unlike Euro land where they invent some b****ks about ‘duty of care’ or similar gibberish to keep it open until you’re in a position to make a phone call if you can and if you remember. And the UK, where it doesn’t matter anyway: of course I frighten a family member every time by making them the ‘responsible person’ to raise the alarm if I crash on the way home. The word ‘gibberish’ doesn’t even come close: I wouldn’t dream of using the appropriate kind of language here.

PS There is another way: In NZ, where VFR plans are mandatory, failure to close results in an automatic fine. But you can close in the air.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Aveling wrote:

they allow you to close the plan in the air (It’s ‘your’ plan – you do what you like with it)

I’ve never understood why we can’t do this in the UK. Madness.

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

One evening when I tried this with a UK controller (back when FPL’s needed closing) I got a severe shouting at over this ‘duty of care’ nonsense. But at that time of day, field unattended, I could go and fly local, further out than when I made this request, anytime without an FPL and end up starving to death within sight of a LIDL (One of aviation’s great quotes!!).

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Aveling wrote:

really dislike the European system, let alone the hugely more stupid UK one. The problem is that because Euro airports close plans silently for you, you never learn to take responsibility for it yourself. Until that day when as Peter says the FISO went home already.
I don’t see any problem with that. If there is an ATC/FIS unit at your destination airport and you know (typically by radio communication) that they have observed your landing, then you can assume that your flight plan has been closed. (And if not, it is not your fault!) Otherwise, you have to close it yourself.

Far, far better in the US where it’s your (VFR) plan, and your responsibility. There, the escalation sequence after 30 mins is: call the cell phone number you gave them on the plan; or call the tower or the FBO at the destination or alternates; call the local sherriff to go have a look at the airport; launch the helicopters. Apparently.

This is more or less what is implied by the ICAO standards and would I expect it to work like this in Europe as well. Are you saying it does not?

Most wonderfully, they allow you to close the plan in the air (It’s ‘your’ plan – you do what you like with it) when you are in a collected state of mind, prior to landing and getting distracted by tie downs, etc., unlike Euro land where they invent some b****ks about ‘duty of care’ or similar gibberish to keep it open until you’re in a position to make a phone call if you can and if you remember.

There is no prohibition in “Euroland” to close a flight plan in the air. But no doubt different countries do this differently. In Sweden it is perfectly fine to close a flight plan in the air. (Although I personally never do, because landing is one of the most critical phases of flight.)

34 Posts
Sign in to add your message