Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cloud concerns!

We were climbing to go VMC on top and at about 5000 feet thought this would be best avoided! Any idea what and how it is formed. Is it best avoided and if so is one likely to get something like this embedded and be unable to see it until too late.

UK, United Kingdom

Just looks like wave cloud to me.

Egnm, United Kingdom

These were over the faroes just before the eclipse. The air around them was completely calm, but we didn’t go into any.

(more here)

Last Edited by jwoolard at 01 May 14:53
EGEO

My photograph was taken just east of Maastrich a few days ago. Over a flat plain with no oragraphic disturbance, it did get my attention.

UK, United Kingdom

That is interesting – I’ve never seen this without some pretty obvious terrain around.

EGEO

The waves continue well downwind of any terrain. Very much best avoided – some nasty turbulence may lurk nearby.

London area

You can see wave clouds tens of miles downwind of the mountains. The turbulence is not usually in the lenticular itself but the rotor which is nearby.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

The waves continue well downwind of any terrain. Very much best avoided – some nasty turbulence may lurk nearby.

The opposite in fact. These waves occurs because the wind is stratified. They pose no problem or danger, and the updraft (and downdraft) can get very strong. They are basically free lifts for anyone to use.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Well we have some differing opinions and if the up and down drafts can get very strong I think my a/p would complain a bit so steer clear seems to be the best advice.

UK, United Kingdom

Glider pilots use waves as free lifts to very high altitudes. Obviously they know on which side to fly and they fly VFR with the goal of making altitude.

To the IFR pilot who is expected to maintain altitude those waves are negative and strong turbulence.

Frequent travels around Europe
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message