Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Comparing national registrations

but even that is a can of worms

Any registry transfer can be, and the UK CAA will probably take a closer look than most at the paperwork and the history.

reduced market value relative to market size

That’s very true and your market will shrink immediately you go to a foreign reg because most people don’t understand the issue and just get scared. Some registrations which seem popular will pretty well limit your market to a pilot from that country (pretty well totally so if homebuilt). So you need to be thinking long-term.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

Achim just did that.

Achim who ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Peter wrote:

But yes if the UK is non-EU then moving a plane permanently from the UK to say Germany after the UK has formally left the EU will attract import VAT in Germany

Yes but in that event the seller will not have to charge VAT on the sale in the UK – exports outside the EU being zero rated so long as you have proof of export

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

UK to Germany?

I wonder what the regs would be, if the UK was non-EU? Interesting.

What does Norway or Switzerland do, exporting to say Germany?

Administrator

Interestingly, a lot of HB reg planes offered have been imported previously from EU countries and are often VAT paid (documented :-) ) already.

EDM_, Germany

Does VAT Paid status carry over across a period outside the EU?

I seem to recall cases where it didn’t. IIRC, there was a TB20 which, after being made in the EU (obviously) was sold to the USA and then re-imported into the EU. It attracted VAT on the import.

Administrator

VAT paid carries over for two years. Any import after the two year period is taxed again.

OK; very interesting, thanks.

Is that pan-EU or maybe country-dependent?

2 years is not long!

Administrator

I would think it is country dependent. This is as of January 2016 for France and Germany.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 22 Jun 08:21

That is good to know !
I was under the (probably wrong) impression that without VAT reimbursement (which didn’t happen) such status would be preserved,
in particular in planes which are in regular European “circulation”.
OK – takes a few off the list..

EDM_, Germany
Sign in to add your message