Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Comparing national registrations

This is also relevant for anyone moving from say D-reg to G-reg (e.g. Germans wanting to avoid the Cessna SIDs).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

I would think it is country dependent. This is as of January 2016 for France and Germany.

I remember reading an older article (back then a different regulation was in force so this is just a curiosity) about paying VAT on re-importation of a boat where they stated that member states can collect VAT and they can choose a period between three and ten years. It suggested that it was up to them on what goods they would apply this. Also, it said that this applies only when the importer is the same entity as the exporter. Which suggests it’s meant to cover cases where you take something with you when traveling outside the EU and then bring it back (business related uses would be customer returning it to you, exhibiting abroad, etc.). In that light, the relatively short period makes sense. Otherwise VAT has to be paid. That really surprised me and I’ll definitely have to look into the current situation at some point.

Neil wrote:

Yes but in that event the seller will not have to charge VAT on the sale in the UK

Even if the aircraft was for private use and owned by a natural person? Please elaborate.

Peter wrote:

IIRC, there was a TB20 which, after being made in the EU (obviously) was sold to the USA and then re-imported into the EU.

Being made here makes no difference.

Last Edited by Martin at 24 Jun 09:25

ch.ess wrote:

under 1250 MTOW, hence under ELA1

To the best of my recollection (and googling skills) ELA1 is 1200kg MTOM or less, not 1250. Makes a potentially significant difference.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

That is good to know !
I was under the (probably wrong) impression that without VAT reimbursement (which didn’t happen) such status would be preserved,
in particular in planes which are in regular European “circulation”.
OK – takes a few off the list..

EDM_, Germany

I would think it is country dependent. This is as of January 2016 for France and Germany.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 22 Jun 08:21

OK; very interesting, thanks.

Is that pan-EU or maybe country-dependent?

2 years is not long!

Administrator

VAT paid carries over for two years. Any import after the two year period is taxed again.

Does VAT Paid status carry over across a period outside the EU?

I seem to recall cases where it didn’t. IIRC, there was a TB20 which, after being made in the EU (obviously) was sold to the USA and then re-imported into the EU. It attracted VAT on the import.

Administrator

Interestingly, a lot of HB reg planes offered have been imported previously from EU countries and are often VAT paid (documented :-) ) already.

EDM_, Germany

UK to Germany?

I wonder what the regs would be, if the UK was non-EU? Interesting.

What does Norway or Switzerland do, exporting to say Germany?

Administrator
43 Posts
Sign in to add your message