Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Considering aircraft purchase - finally ;-)

The M20J has a baggage door that pax/pic can use to get out, probably not to get in

I still don’t view it as 4*4 but it does 160KTS grass/tarmac to tarmac, pity it can’t go to 500m grass without flying the hedge at 60kts

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Oct 16:08
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The 180hp IO-360 Lycoming does, so Arrow 180 or Mooney C, both are good for > 130KTAS 8000ft and above

Despite being „only“ 180hp, they both are not
mogas-approved or approvable.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

they both are not mogas-approved or approvable

Why not? The Lycoming SI has the -B engine explicitely approved to run on all sorts of gasolines.

Last Edited by Arne at 14 Oct 16:38
ESMK, Sweden

Because running on mogas also requires an approval of the specific airframe.

Either it was not pursued or the testing wasn‘t successful.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

running on mogas also requires an approval of the specific airframe

Darn it…

ESMK, Sweden

Arne wrote:

The 180hp IO-360 Lycoming does, so Arrow 180 or Mooney C, both are good for > 130KTAS 8000ft and above

Neither are approved for Mogas ops. As far as I know they tried to certify the M20 C and G but ran into vapour lock problems they could not resolve.

RobertL18C wrote:

The Mooney G is also 180HP

True and there was one for sale a few times in Germany for about 30 k or less a couple of years ago. Trouble is, while the G has the longer fusellage of the F (and subsequent J and K) models, it still only has 52 USG fuel capacity. The 64 USG of the F and J are nice to have. Actually, the C, G, E could be upgraded to 64 USG by installing bladder tanks but I think that STC is no longer available at the moment. Also some Mooneys have Monroy Long Range tanks which up the fuel capacity by 36 USG, so 88 USG for the C,E,G or 100 USG for the F and J. While that gives a fantastic range of between 1100 and 1500 NM and you can really profit of a fuel stop in Belgrade, with full fuel the remaining payload is for about 2 people and very few baggage with around 170-180 kg. Still… a good J flown at eco cruise with good winds can just about make it to the Canaries from central Europe…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Why one would look to have Mogas aircraft in Germany, expensive Avgas? not available? or both?
It is also a false economy unless the aircraft has a Volkswagen engine and comes with few risks

I don’t think OP was down this route, anyway good luck Patrick with the hunt !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

“but there may be an adjustment if it is high hour vs overhaul”
You can pay extra to avoid “betterment” in insurance pay-outs.
The Jodel syndicate I’ve been in for almost 30 years had one total write-off before I joined, and two more, one fatal, in my first 10 years. No accidents since 1999.
A fatal accident does not affect a syndicate insurance, which is based on accident records of the surviving members.
If only EASA required third party is your decision, check carefully on passenger cover.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Patrick,

If you zoom in on an Arrow and have specific questions, please let me know. I own a newer Arrow together with three partners, having moved from a Warrior three years ago. The performance difference is significant. Many focus on speed only and yes, that was nice, but a large benefit is for sure the increased range. Not only to be able to do longer flights, but also refuel more seldom gives flexibility.

Happy to answer any questions, as good as I can.

ESOW, Sweden

FYI

Don’t buy too much airplane for your annual flying budget. As Mooney said before here, only use 50% of your buying budget on the airplane, the rest will be needed to afterwards. Keep a reserve in case something needs to be overhauled early.
Anyway, you will have to become an expert of the type you buy.
Good luck !

LFOU, France
Sign in to add your message