Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Continential O-200 TBO increase by 200 hours if.....,

Continental announced some time back in SIL98-9C that the TBO of the O-200 with engine serial numbers 1006000 and later can have their TBO increased to 2000 hours.

Obviously this is a good move however I’m not convinced that its financially viable to buy a new or re-manufactured engine off continental especially with the current value of the pound to take advantage of this increase.

At the same time they also stated that if an engine consistently accumulates 40 or more hours per month since being placed in service then one can add 200 hours to the recommended TBO.

Now this does interest me as my Cessna 150 does over 500 hours hours a year (599 hours to be exact). So one would think that’s great news to me. But after contacting continental the aircraft has to fly greater than 40 hours EVERY single month. So last February when the weather was crap and it was in for its annual for two weeks it did less than 40 hours. So I think this TBO increase is a bit of a marketing scam as I doubt there will be many if any O-200’s that meet this requirement.

Last Edited by Bathman at 15 Jan 09:30

C150 is ELA1, so why do you still worry about recommended TBOs? Doesn’t matter that the aircraft is used for flight training.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Many LAA O200s are making 3000+.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Boscomantico

Becasuse the CAA have stated that all aircraft used for flying instruction have to remain on lamp till 2019

LAMP was indeed a huge waste of money for light GA in the UK…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Bathman wrote:

CAA have stated that all aircraft used for flying instruction have to remain on lamp till 2019

Similar in DK – “until Part M-light” for commercial instruction.
As for non-commercial club instruction – that has effectively been redefined to be commercial, inaccurately referring to EASA regulations on the definition of commercial activity.

Last Edited by huv at 25 Dec 22:40
huv
EKRK, Denmark

huv wrote:

As for non-commercial club instruction – that has effectively been redefined to be commercial, inaccurately referring to EASA regulations on the definition of commercial activity.

After some head scratching, the Swedish CAA made the opposite decision… Maybe your clubs should change to SE-reg?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

After some head scratching, the Swedish CAA made the opposite decision… Maybe your clubs should change to SE-reg?

Thank you for that information @Airborne_Again.
As we have a meeting set up with the CAA in a few weeks to arm wrestle about this problem, I would be very grateful if you could give me a reference for what the Swedish CAA has decided!

huv
EKRK, Denmark

huv wrote:

As we have a meeting set up with the CAA in a few weeks to arm wrestle about this problem, I would be very grateful if you could give me a reference for what the Swedish CAA has decided!

I’ll dig it up. It may take some days before I get around to it. If you haven’t heard from me in a week, send a PM.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message