Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Converting Enroute IR to Basic IR (EIR to BIR)

Dear Forum members,

in about 2 years from now, the E-IR will vanish and it shall be possible to convert the E-IR to the new B-IR by adding a module and a skill test. Does anybody know a little more already what this would mean in terms of hours and effort?

Thank you,

Martin

EDRY (Speyer), Germany

Cessna777 wrote:

in about 2 years from now, the E-IR will vanish and it shall be possible to convert the E-IR to the new B-IR by adding a module and a skill test. Does anybody know a little more already what this would mean in terms of hours and effort?

From what I’ve heard if you’ve got EIR, then you get two modules out of three and third one (approaches etc) you will have to pass in addition to what you’ve got.
Or don’t do anything – that way you get BIR which will be just like EIR but with higher minima (DH+200ft).
Or you can do your extra XC IFR P1 hours under EIR then 10hrs+test and get the full CB/IR – if you’ve already got the theory for EIR and passed the skills test for that, then it would make sense to get extra 20 (?) hours and have CB/IR.

EGTR

Thank you. Indeed i am considering at the moment to do the 20h for the CB-IR or the third module (approaches). But i haven’t found any info on this approach module.

Martin

EDRY (Speyer), Germany

I am in the same boat. My EIR will simply become a Basic IR with the current privileges (only enroute IFR). But after two years or so I think I need the extenson for approaches….but I am not sure and wondering: Can the BIR be obtained in a modular way? E.g. can a VFR pilot do only the enroute module of the BIR and use it like a EIR?

Cessna777 wrote:

But i haven’t found any info on this approach module.

I believe it should be published before the BIR go live in Sep 2021.

EGTR

ArcticChiller wrote:

E.g. can a VFR pilot do only the enroute module of the BIR and use it like a EIR?

Allegedly, you do the common module and then Enroute or Approach or both.

EGTR

Might it be possible to modify the thread title? I initially thought this was about the “European IR”… which it is.. but…see what I mean?

skydriller wrote:

Might it be possible to modify the thread title? I initially thought this was about the “European IR”… which it is.. but…see what I mean?

Not unless @Peter changes it to something like “Enroute IR → Basic IR (E/IR→BIR)?”

EGTR

Done… I think?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I also struggle with the same problem.

Should I go from EIR to BIR or CB-IR

Additional input: no ATO are providing BIR yet in Belgium at this time…but one might in the near future
Only 2 ATO have CB-IR and from these two I had no feedback on possible upgrade path…

Any views on what is best & possible options are welcome.

It is unclear for me what the upgrade path from EIR to BIR would look like.
For EIR => CBIR I understand that out of min 40h, past IFR time can be credited till 30h and that min 10h should be done in ATO

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message