Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Correct/preferred way to fly this VOR approach?

What is correct way to fly this approach if arriving from the north and having just basic navigation on board? Will it be a or b or both possible?
After touch and go what is the correct way? Climb to 3500(MSA 2200) turn right and position for approach? Or just turn left and try to intercept radial 291 somewhere in the middle while climbing to 2200 as it’s usually flown…

I think the “totally proper” way is to fly at/above the MSA (or as cleared by ATC, if higher) to the holding fix (KNA), if above 3500 you take up the hold and descend in the hold to 3500ft, and then, jesus, this is messy because the hold goes in the wrong direction, you exit the hold on the 258 (wind corrected heading) and intercept the 278 outbound radial and fly that to D7.6.

In practice, if cleared for the approach, I would descend to 3500ft and fly “B”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would alter course to the East some 20 or 30 miles back to enable a track inbound closer to say 225 and then cross the VOR and track outbound on 278….

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

“A” would be more appropriate IMO – gradually changing QDM in order to reach heading (maybe to HDG 230 or 240) that can enable QDR 278 from KNA. That’s close to how ATC would probably vector you in case of vectoring.

For touch and go definitely use missed approach procedure depicted with dashed line.

Last Edited by Emir at 18 Jul 07:48
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

That’s way clearer than what I said ….should remember to use more Q codes next time,…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Fortunately the MSA (see circle in top right) is not an issue in this case, but in the general case you can’t just make up a DIY track to the east so as to make the turn onto the outbound leg easy.

The OP was asking for the “classical IFR” method, which does not involve a GPS or any form of RNAV, which means that all legs of a flight are directly to/from a navaid, unless it is a timed leg and that would be flown as published on an IAP.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

jesus, this is messy because the hold goes in the wrong direction,

Does it?

Parallel join for the hold at 3500, going outbound 258 for 1 min and turn right to intercept KNA
Is there an alternative procedure described for starting the approach from the hold? I assume you would go outbound something like 266 while descending to 2200?

Last Edited by mmgreve at 18 Jul 08:32
EGTR

Parallel join for the hold at 3500, going outbound 258 for 1 min and turn right to intercept KNA

I think that is what I wrote originally.

However, if you fly for the 1 minute, the actual turn to intercept KNA278 may be left or right… one would have to plot it to see. If however you fly on 258 (wind corrected) then you will intercept KNA278, before D7.6, I reckon…

The real problem is that the hold direction is wrong. Normally one should be able to exit the hold pretty well directly to fly the approach.

It is still messy because you are not assured of obstacle clearance unless flying the whole thing as charted znd e.g. flying way outside e.g. a holding pattern is simply not right. There could be something here

In this case the MSA circle tells you it is OK to do a DIY hack, but in “classical IFR” the MSA circle is not to be used operationally; it is for emergency use only.

It’s a great puzzle! We have done them before. @NCYankee always had great input on it.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The real problem is that the hold direction is wrong. Normally one should be able to exit the hold pretty well directly to fly the approach.

I think that is what I don’t understand in what you write. The hold is only slightly offset by 6 degrees (086 vs 078), but you can still go directly outbound from the hold

Peter wrote:

If however you fly on 258 (wind corrected) then you will intercept KNA278, before D7.6, I reckon…

Well, you know that the gate for the hold is at D5.2 on the KNA288 – right? So if you continue with 1xdrift you should reach KNA278 before D7.6, so you simply fly 278 outbound.

It is all within the protected area, as far as I can see.

EGTR

AnthonyQ wrote:

That’s way clearer than what I said

Actually it’s the same.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
47 Posts
Sign in to add your message