Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Could a sub-FL300 aircraft fly through this?

And how exactly?

This is right now:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Looks like these guys just did, at FL280.

Flying through is not as bad as landing or taking off. This plane probably diverted.

Last Edited by loco at 09 Aug 11:29
LPFR, Poland

I think you would need a far more detailed radar analysis to determine. For example this is the south coast now and with on board radar that would be more than workable I would have thought.

Wow, you guys are geniuses. I never thought of using those flight tracking apps to effectively get PIREPs! Which website is this please, @loco? Is this a paid version?

EGTF, LFTF

It’s FR24, paid version.

LPFR, Poland

Thanks. Looks like you have the Business version with lightning. I guess Gold will be enough for my needs…

EGTF, LFTF

For example this is the south coast now and with on board radar that would be more than workable I would have thought.

Right now, it is fine for a TB20

Just a load of cloud, so might need TKS if high enough

But no CBs obviously evident

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, I agree. My point was that using Meteox there is quite a lack of resolution (the more especially over large areas) and so it is difficult to see exactly what is going on. While higher resolution is better it is still far from ideal as by definition there is some lag with real time. So the first might provide a good indication of how broken the activity is, but the second is the only solid answer.

I have a recent case in point where I had had a look at the high resolution radar just before departing because there was a load of activity about 15 minutes away exactly where I needed to go, and it was almost exactly spot on, and more than adequate to work around. Meteox on the other hand provided only a vague picture that would also have been helpful but less reliable perhaps.

If I was doing this kind of stuff I woud want airborne radar to feel comfortable if you arent certain of getting over the tops which I know as you have said before is rarely possible even in a TB20 with this amount of frontal activity, so you are stuck with working around and between.

In the enroute phase there’s a significant difference in doability from just a couple of k feet of ceiling. At FL250 I’m rarely in the embedded stuff and it’s ok to just slalom around visually a bit, but the tops are rarely above FL270-280 so a Meridian could just fly straight. Having said that, there are flights which are not doable at FL250 and are perfectly fine at 3,000 ft…

EGTF, LFTF

In the Commander and the Aerostar, it seemed like the typical midwest afternoon thunderstorms, rose to well above 30-35000ft at times. That said, there is most often space around the cells enough that you can weave and dodge.

Coming back from Oklahoma to Albuquerque a few weeks backs, that was exactly what happened. Was at 16000ft (pressurization wouldn’t let me climb much higher) and the buildups went up to what looked FL400. They were everywhere and the airliners were taking deviations left, right and center. My onboard radar was not utilized, so I relied on Nexrad. I had to dodge and weave around quite a few, but in the end spent very little time in IMC. When I did cut corners, the ride was very rough and immediate ice buildup. With onboard, I could have probably cut a few corners or gone between two cells a little more readily.

I’m still learning the aircraft and especially to fly IMC in it, so I prefer to stay out it, if I can.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 10 Aug 05:15
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message