Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Extra NG G-MIIL lands in a house in Oxford after pilot parachutes out

Also an accident near Bicester not a good day for local GA

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

@RobertL18C – yes, an Extra NG G-MIIL. I met the pilot and plane last Saturday at Enstone. Gorgeous plane.

Pilot bailed out and was fine except facial injuries, apparently he hit something in flight which presumably smashed the canopy. I’m sure we’ll find out what he hit in due course.

United Kingdom
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

ASN

Portion of FR24 track:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

G-MIIL lands in a house

G-MIIL lands in a house… really? Makes contact with the Planet yes, but land? I’d rather call this a CRASH.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

G-MIIL lands in a house… really?

Well, as they say a good landing is one you walk away from, and a great landing is one where you can use the plane again afterwards.

Andreas IOM

So, this Trevor Jacob fop didn’t crash his plane in a remote mountain range for youtube clicks, either? That’s going to be a hilarious defense in his trial…

Last Edited by Inkognito at 04 Apr 16:20
Berlin, Germany

IO390 wrote:

apparently he hit something in flight which presumably smashed the canopy

must have been pretty bad to warrant abandoning the stricken ship… any news to what happened?

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

must have been pretty bad to warrant abandoning the stricken ship… any news to what happened?

The word I got was that the severe facial injuries were as a result of the canopy smash rather than the bail-out.

My inference therefore is that he bailed out because he felt he was too badly hurt to safely fly and land. Newspapers mentioned life-changing injuries, perhaps he lost an eye or something.

Could be all wrong of course, but like you I tended to assume that a smashed canopy would not normally, of itself, warrant bailing out.

EGLM & EGTN

Thanks @Graham
What you write makes perfect sense. Another reason could have been that the handling of the craft was severely affected by a shattered or missing canopy, or the tail being damaged by the departing canopy or pieces…

Whatever happened, wishing him the best in his recovery.

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message