Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

D140 aeroclub passenger flight fatal crash. 21/5/2022

https://mol.im/a/10840653
Daily Mail. Family, including child, and pilot killed.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

This is strange. Either there is something wrong with the dates from the Daily Mail or by coincidence 2 D140 Mousquetaires have crashed in the past few weeks.
A week or so ago the talk of the club was of a D140 having crashed killing all on board in the East of France. Most of us knew or at least would have met the pilot when he came to LFFK to train as part of the French aerobatic team.
He will be a sad loss to French aerobatics as I believe he had been both a World and European champion.
IIUC the passengers were his family.
If this is a second D140 to have crashed it is a very sad day indeed.
RIP

France

It appears to be a new accident indeed.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/278296

I can’t find another D140 crash within 2022 in France on ASN, but there was a Robin DR-400-120 which crashed on April 10th in Saint-Brieuc Airfield with 3 fatalities

(aircraft type corrected)

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 22 May 09:25
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Very sad, the local news talks about crash 7nm north east of the runway during “bapteme de l’air” with full family of 4 pax, including kids, plus pilot in D140, really awful !

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 May 07:31
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

full family of 4 pax, including kids, plus pilot in D140

Can a D140 carry that many people?

I seem to recall some other accidents during those “bapteme de l’air” in recent years using similar airplanes. Systematical problem behind all of them?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Can a D140 carry that many people?

It’s one of few aircraft that can carry their weight as useful load (unlike DR-120 with 4pob), the flight sadly had kids on it, but no idea about performance or balance, better to wait for the report…

The D140 is known for its load carrying capabilities.
I have never heard of a Robin D140.
The Mousquetaire is a Jodel. They are used a lot in mountain aeroclubs and have an excellent safety record. Plus there are not that many around these days, which is why my surprise that there should be 2 sumilar accidents in the same region with weeks of each other.

France

Please give me & MD a doubt, we are referring to Robin DR400-120 (Robin not Jodel) that crashed near Arcachon fully loaded 4pob and 120hp engine…

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 May 08:40

Ok I understand now. I would normally refer to that as a DR420🙂 More a 2+2 than a 4 place.
The D140 is a 5 seater in most configurations.
Other than the Ambassador (same family) and the Piper Aztec AFAIK the Mousequetaire is the only other aircraft that has a useful load the same or more than its empty weight.
These days they are quite rare, and reports of one going down on 21st May when we had been discussing a similar accident in a similar pretty rare aircraft in the same area of France, one week, prior to this, I just find a coincidence. Or is it déja vu?

France

The massif de Belledone seems to be a real GA cemetery…

LFMD, France
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message