Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jodel F-PLUM down in Montblanc area on training flight

What has been described as a “light airplane” has crashed on the glacier d’Argentière in the region of Bonneville. It was occupied by an instructor (62) and a student (30). Both did not survive the accident which happened on thursday. The aircraft was found destroyed on the glacier d’Argentière by a SAR helo in 2600m elevation.

Reports say the aircraft took off from Albertville.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Does anyone know the reg?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

D113 F-PLUM

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/279585

May they rest in peace.

In one of the articles, it is said they crashed at 1615L and were reported lost (prob by a relative) lost around 2230L. Sounds awful especially for a mountain instruction flight in a club.
The D113 has a short range, 3 hours without reserves.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 27 Jun 06:16
LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

In one of the articles, it is said they crashed at 1615L and were reported lost (prob by a relative) lost around 2230L. Sounds awful especially for a mountain instruction flight in a club.

Starting my MOU rating, I’ve always been said that MOU rating is an authorization for killing yourself…
That been said, I would think that a mid-air would be unlikely as another aircraft would have been implied. MOU instructors are ironed to face a lot of issues and can quicly react to deadly circumstances… Some various exercises of a engine failure after takeoff is frightening and showed me I would probably die in a tree.
Engine failure on TO on a glacier or an altisurface is a dead trap… I hope that investigations will find out the reason.

My sincere condoleances to both families.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 27 Jun 08:20
LFMD, France

The MOU is probably the best rating one can get short of the IR. The awareness carries over to every element of aviation. It’s also about the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

greg_mp wrote:

Starting my MOU rating, I’ve always been said that MOU rating is an authorization for killing yourself…

I would think from what I have seen in Switzerland that those who are attempting the MOU rating are quite serious folks. Consequently we have had relatively few accidents in MOU flying, apart from the fact that the MOU rating will teach you valuable stuff for flying in mountains even with normal SEP’s.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Consequently we have had relatively few accidents in MOU flying

It’s better to have it than not, but having it, at the end, you spend more time flying over unfrliendly terrain… inevitably this is riskier.

Pig wrote:

The MOU is probably the best rating one can get short of the IR.

100% agree, actually you learn to fly visually and with you ass, and plan and assess risk. This is something man forget rapidly after the ppl exam…

Last Edited by greg_mp at 27 Jun 09:25
LFMD, France

If that (plan and assessing risk) is even possible for mountain flying. Plenty of accidents. The old saying „rather be lucky than good“ springs to mind.

always learning
LO__, Austria

The D113 is light but powered by an O-200. Quite sporty in the plains but I wonder how it behaves at 8700ft, the altitude of the crash.

LFOU, France
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message