Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jodel F-PLUM down in Montblanc area on training flight

172driver wrote:

ISA plus 27C is not a good day to go mountain flying with any SEP. Wonder why they even tried it, the instructor must have been aware. DA is a killer.

ISA +20 is quite often seen in the European Alps. I once encountered it while trying to cross the Alps in 2012 I believe and had to abort as we could not climb above 17000 ft (DA that day was almost 20k ft) to get over some clouds. The airplane has a service ceiling per POH of 17000 ft DA and actually outdid that by 2500 ft that day but at that point no climb was possible anymore.

MichaLSA wrote:

Looking at weather data I estimate DA to almost 10,000 at 8,700ft. That is not very comfortable, but the D113 should go up to FL140.

Question would be what if they encountered downdrafts in these conditions. I doubt that an O200 powered airplane then would have any way to hold altitude.

Many years ago I was on board a Seneca II (turbo) on a flight to Sion, when we got into a downdraft after crossing the Jungfraujoch ridge towards the South. The airplane took a 1500 fpm descent at full power and massively under gross and forced us to basically fly parallel to the glacier at around 1000 ft AGL down. The downdraft subsided only after several miles and we were able to hold altitude and eventually climb, but it was a very drastic reminder that even rather well powered airplanes with service ceilings well beyond 20000 ft can be forced into descent.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

D113 should go up to FL140

With an O-200 engine? Is this in the POH?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message