Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aquila 210 dead stick on highway

Dan wrote:

I frankly fail to see the relationship of those nationalistic military demos with emergency landings as implied in this thread…

The fact that there are many stretches of motorway which have been designed as fall back runways for the national airforces indeed do have some relevance.

I’ve come across such stretches of road or motorway all over the place. Bulgaria has them (one is here) . Finland has quite a few too I believe. So has Sweden.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Only beer bellies in uniforms allowed in this thread :) :) :)

always learning
LO__, Austria

Mooney_Driver wrote:

The fact that there are many stretches of motorway which have been designed as fall back runways for the national airforces indeed do have some relevance.

I’ve come across such stretches of road or motorway all over the place.

I hope some day SD or FF add emergency landing places to their EFBs. I think using AI, with data about geography, crops, recent weather, wind speed, aerial photos, flat bits of roads, power wires, etc. they could suggest some appropriate landing zones.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

I’d rather choose a mediocre field than a motorway – even landing with the flow of the traffic, I’m afraid that there are too many variables and also too many people around, at least in central europe.
But as always, it’s much easier to talk about that than experience it oneself, so this is not meant as criticism but as an opinion.

Berlin, Germany

Inkognito wrote:

But as always, it’s much easier to talk about that than experience it oneself, so this is not meant as criticism but as an opinion.

Yeah, ultimately it will probably be a spur-of-the-moment decision anyways. I mainly fly in an area with lots of flat fields, but many of these have ditches or wire fences that are hard to spot from above and you never know whether the wheels would dig into the soft earth and let you cartwheel if trying to land there anyways.

So in principle I think motorways as such might be a safer alternative, but traffic is an unpredictable variable and congestion can always occur on a typical stretch of Autobahn.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

I mainly fly in an area with lots of flat fields

To quote a friend from the club: “In northern germany you just fly straight ahead untill the wheel starts rolling”. But then, glider pilots think differently…

Berlin, Germany
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message