Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cotswold light plane overshoot (missing parked airliners)

There must be more to the story. This is not an overshoot, but a plane that is still flying through the stopped/parked airliners!??!!

Stuck throttle? Emergency landing, with no other options? Botched go around with a late decision to land again?

Last Edited by Canuck at 07 Aug 13:17
Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

The Cherokee design has a couple of potential flaws on the steering. Unlike Cessna the nose wheel doesn’t align with the relative air flow when airborne. It also has a bar above the pedals which can interfere with the steering especially in a moment of panic. As a consequence, while a very safe design, arguably with one of the best safety records in GA, it does have a higher cluster of runway departure, ground loss of control accidents.

As this was a dual it would be interesting to understand whether this was a botched go around, or obvious confusion in the cockpit? The instructor could have pulled the mixture as soon as it was obvious there was a departure occurring, at the very least to prevent a potential fire.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The nosewheel shouldn’t matter until touchdown. I was safety pilot in our Jodel DR1050 when the pilot suddenly firewalled the throttle after a perfect crosswind landing, intended as a full stop, near the left, upwind, edge of the runway, with 1,000+m left. The aircraft was at 45 degrees to the runway, with the right wing in the air when I took control. I tried to lift off, but the grass was too rough, and stopped with no damage.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

it does have a higher cluster of runway departure, ground loss of control accidents.

Unless you’re substantially wheelbarrowing a tricycle plane, the nosewheel steering is doing little to steer compared to the rudder, at any speeds faster than taxi speed. If you’re using the pedals, it’s going to go where you steer it to, regardless of what the nosewheel is doing. This can be demonstrated in a 172 by putting two heavy people in the back seat (don’t worry, you’re not going flying!). Set 15 degrees of flaps, apply full nose up elevator and open the throttle with caution. As the plane begins to move forward, the nose will rise, (so you know the nosewheel has locked forward) and it may even come off the ground. Don’t bang the tail, but you can taxi it around that way, and steer quite well.

I don’t accept an argument that it “wouldn’t steer”, blaming the third wheel, at speeds faster than taxi speed. Use the rudder as needed!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Pilot_DAR wrote:

Unless you’re substantially wheelbarrowing a tricycle plane, the nosewheel steering is doing little to steer compared to the rudder, at any speeds faster than taxi speed.

Referring to tricycle gear in general, I disagree. Try to do this in a DA20 Katana and you will end up in the roses and bushes at the side of the airfield. I never got warm with the take-off ground roll in a Katana. By the way, the rudder has negligible effect. You have to use the brakes to keep this bird on runway heading.

Germany

I don’t recall a slightest issue in controlling a PA28 on ground, even when landing and taxi in +35kts crosswinds with idle power

Obviously, on full power go-around or takeoff with stick full back lot of things can go wrong when it comes to the resulting flight path when the aircraft end up “stuck” 2ft above ground

They usually stop when they hit something 1km away on those “outgoing only takeoff” rather than the pilot pulls mixture and take his loss…I remember a similar accident while ago, where AAIB found it was loss of control during takeoff attempt on one mag on hot day, it’s unlikely the case here on go-around? maybe they pulled the stick against full flaps on PA28-140?

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Aug 14:14
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

You have to use the brakes to keep this bird on runway heading.

Interesting, because the opposite is true in the DA40. The rudder works well at open taxiway speeds, say 10-15 knots. It’s only at really low speeds, when manouvering on the ramp or on narrow taxiways, that you need to use the brakes.

LFMD, France

johnh wrote:

Interesting, because the opposite is true in the DA40

It is because the nose wheel of the DA20 is not steered directly with the feet, it is not linked. There are only springs that you can load with a force with the pedals and wait whether the nose wheel will turn. Using the brakes it works out, but I never got used to this.

Germany

I admit to not having flown the DA20, so cannot comment on that one. But other “no nosewheel steering” types I have flown (Lake amphibian/Grumman Tiger/Cessna180/182/185/208 amphibian), though requiring some brake for taxiing, will respond with rudder only use as long as there is some power, and, aside from straightening out with power application at the start of the takeoff roll, do not require the use of brakes for directional control at runway speeds. I have never had a problem keeping a PA28 going the desired direction.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message