Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Emeraude G-CKCF in the trees - Rochester EGTO

A certain ex-EuroGA poster (Timothy) has escaped unhurt, as has his passenger. EFATO at Rochester with dense woods ahead, and it appears it took quite some time to get them down from the aircraft which was wedged in trees some 40’ up in the air.

It must be particularly unpleasant to have to execute a forced landing into such terrain.

EGLM & EGTN

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank God there wasn’t a fire.
They were cocooned in the aircraft for 3 hours before they were rescued.
The plane – G-CKCF a Societe Scintex Emeraude – had not long been hangered at Rochester.

Last Edited by Peter_G at 01 Nov 10:07
Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

I’m glad that nobody was hurt.

Would be interesting to hear Timothy’s perspective on what happened.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Timothy is no longer able to post here but as with here he is welcome to send us some text which I can then post here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Glad aeronaut Timothy and passenger are safe with a well executed EFATO

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

a well executed EFATO

congrats on your appointment to the AAIB

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Interesting that the pilot, having landed ‘long’ at St Mary’s, destoying his aircraft (https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/178854) now prefers to land ‘short’. Search for: ‘Timothy Saanen Landing’. This is, of course, illegal…

Last Edited by Daedalus at 01 Nov 16:38
United Kingdom

Daedalus wrote:

now prefers to land ‘short’

Yep, that would fail any kind of check ride (and not one I would publish, or let publish, on YT…)

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

What exactly is wrong with that approach and landing at Saanen? I have done this in a twin many times at Saanen and it is the recommended approach for that runway. It may look strange but the topography means that this is the best way. If I remember correctly you arrive overhead at 5000ft and then descend in the turn in the valley towards Gstaad before to turning back to join on base leg. You have to keep quite close to the terrain to effect the turn and the first time you do it, it does seem close but it really isn’t a problem in good vis.

EGBW, United Kingdom
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message