Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Emeraude G-CKCF in the trees - Rochester EGTO

Buckerfan wrote:

the locals probably all have the habit of using the undershoot for an early touchdown there

I confess having probably touched down once before the threshold there… but the whole runway was snow covered, and I did not post it on YT

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Ibra wrote:

One would be way too dumb not to do it and go overshoot on the other side

Doubly so as at the end of the westbound runway there is a forest on a small rise. Climb out requires an immediate right bank and then turn back to the left.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Could this be carb icing? AFAIK you can’t get that with a wide open throttle.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AFAIK you can’t get that with a wide open throttle

Not sure what type of engine in that aircraft?

I had carb icing in C95 Piper Cub on takeoff, about 50ft on full power

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Nov 09:31
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

AFAIK you can’t get that with a wide open throttle.

You certainly can with the O200 engine my old Cessna 150 had.

For those who have a carb heat indicator, it may be an experience to see at what power settings you actually end up in the yellow arc. The more power, the colder the air gets in there.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Dan wrote:

I did not post it on YT

This may be the operative part of it

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Dan wrote:

I did not post it on YT

Posting any flying video on YT paints a massive target on your back, both for snide remarks on social media and from action by the regulator. If I were to post anything to YT, I would only do it pseudoanonymously, with any registrations blurred out, and studiously check it for anything that could be grounds for a MOR before doing so.

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

Could this be carb icing? AFAIK you can’t get that with a wide open throttle.

I assure you that you can, back in the last century when I was based at Stansted, (usually parked next to Timothy), it was quiet there in those days, full throttle take off in PA28, at 800 ft engine coughed and spluttered so, a very relaxed ATC cleared me to turn back to the runway and to land, prognosis was carb ice caused by sitting at the hold on a wet taxi-way, misfire was due to ice passing through the engine.

An example of how relaxed aviation was in those days … was told at Stansted to park on apron 30, but there was already a Lancaster Bomber parked there, “dont worry” said ATC … “park underneath it” … which I did !, I have the pic somewhere

quatrelle wrote:

was told at Stansted to park on apron 30, but there was already a Lancaster Bomber parked there

oh my, when was that then, 1939 or 45?

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

For those who have a carb heat indicator, it may be an experience to see at what power settings you actually end up in the yellow arc.

I have never flown with a carb heat indicator, but

The more power, the colder the air gets in there.

I don’t see how that agrees with any explanation I’ve ever read on how carb ice is formed.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message