Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Weird double accident

From AvWeb GA Accident Bulletin, October 31, 2022

July 29, 2022, Raeford, N.C.

CASA C-212 Aviocar

The airplane was substantially damaged in a hard landing and subsequent emergency landing at about 1404 Eastern time. The pilot-in-command (PIC) was not injured; the second-in-command (SIC) sustained fatal injuries.

Earlier, while the SIC was attempting to land, a hard landing ensued, shearing off the right main landing gear. The PIC elected to divert to a nearby airport. About 20 minutes into the diversion, the SIC became visibly upset about the hard landing, soon opened his side window and “may have gotten sick.” The SIC then lowered the airplane’s rear ramp, indicating he “felt like he was going to be sick and needed air.” The SIC left his seat, removed his headset, “apologized and departed the airplane via the aft ramp door.”

The PIC turned the airplane right to search for the SIC and notified ATC his SIC had departed the airplane without a parachute. He then proceeded to the divert airport, performed a low approach and then an emergency landing, with the airplane coming to rest upright in the grass beside the runway

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

What happened to the SIC?

Sounds like some form of psychosis or a very unusual stress reaction to me.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

It is when one literally wants to die because of the sh*t that happened before.

I don’t think that any sickness was involved. It was decision making of the SIC on how to evade the situation.

No one knows what happened on board. Maybe PIC was very angry about that mishap, that he would have to bear the responsibility for?

However, nothing justifies as “worthy enough” to end his own life. It’s an airplane in the end, it may be repaired or written off but in the end it is money only.

Last Edited by UdoR at 02 Nov 05:54
Germany

“However, nothing justifies as “worthy enough” to end his own life. It’s an airplane in the end, it may be repaired or written off but in the end it is money only.”
I agree with this statement entirely. Has anyone else noticed how everything these days seems to affect people’s mental health.
IMO much of it is down to people not knowing how or not being allowed to have fun any more without thinking of a list of consequences.🙂

France

Maybe it was a murder?

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

robirdus wrote:

Maybe it was a murder?

yes, it was also one of my thoughts… and this is what makes this whole story rather unique. Crazy world we live in

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

There was a report on YouTube about this one and it seems it’s not so nefarious as some would make out.

The SIC was feeling sick because of the damage he had caused and instead of vomiting inside the aircraft – guess who would clean that up? – he decided to lower the tailgate and vomit outside….. I can just imagine the scene as a little child calls out – look, Mummy, there’s an aeroplane in the sky – as the SIC vomits over him.

Whilst there, he decided to try to get a good look at the damaged wheel by looking around the side because from inside the view is restricted somewhat….. unfortunately there’s a lot of air rushing along the side and there’s nowhere to hold yourself onto, so away he went….

…at least that’s what Dan Gryder (I think it was his channel) reported…

EDL*, Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

Whilst there, he decided to try to get a good look at the damaged wheel by looking around the side because from inside the view is restricted somewhat….. unfortunately there’s a lot of air rushing along the side and there’s nowhere to hold yourself onto, so away he went….

Doing this without being tethered to the plane doesn’t sound less suicidal to me.

Most of his body must have been on the ramp in order to do so:

EDQH, Germany

Perhaps believing his planned career was finished? And a spur-of -the-moment decision?
The murder suggestion shocks me. The only other person was at the controls, flying the aircraft. To blame the P1 is libel.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

we now have a follow up on this story Co-Pilot’s Fall From Jump Plane Ruled An Accident

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message