Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mid Air collision Boeing B17 flying fortress and Bell Aircobra at Dallas Redbird airport

An airshow near Dallas ended in tragedy today as a Bell Aircobra collided with a Boeing B17 Flying fortress today, destroying both airplanes in the air and killing all 6 on board both airplanes.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/301048
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/301050

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 12 Nov 23:36
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

terrible… again…

Paul Bertorelli does it again with an excellent take on the subject: Tragedy In Dallas

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Yes, good article by Paul Bertorelli as well as some good comments.

Avweb is a great site indeed. I read a lot of articles by John Deakin there and they were the ones initiating his book out of those articles. Deakin was one of the select few to fly Fifi and the C46, amongst others. If I am not mistaken, Texas Rangers was one of the oldest CAF B17’s, both airplanes were based in Houston.

Dan wrote:

Paul Bertorelli does it again with an excellent take on the subject

I for once disagree with the conveyed view. I do think displaying these aircraft is definitely worthwhile, but that is my personal view, possible just as personal as the positive emotions lived by Paul when enjoying these aircraft.

Linking the two B17 crashes is a bit premature: they bear as little resemblance as possible to one another , other than the aircraft type.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

Linking the two B17 crashes is a bit premature

Not only premature but totally inappropriate, there is no ressemblance apart from the aircraft type.

I think Paul has got a point, even though I tend to agree with you regarding it being worth that they are flown. This accident imho however has nothing to do with “ancient airplanes” or similar question up front: It is a mid air collision which will affect any involved airplane adversely.

Unfortunately, his point is shared by not few regulators who would like to see historical airplanes grounded rather today than tomorrow. Let’s hope that the NTSB as well as the FAA keep their cool about this one, unlike some European ones which put an end to flying historical larger airplanes for good due to a single accident attibuted to inapropriate flying technique in the Alps.

AOPA has an early analysis video that is quite interesting.

Last Edited by chflyer at 18 Nov 13:40
LSZK, Switzerland

The photo and this event bring back disturbing memories from years ago of nearly being hit by a B17 while I was in the circuit at Meaux and on the local frequency. The aircraft passed directly below us, so if we were at 1000 ft AGL the B17 was probably at 500 ft. We just heard the roar as it went past, olive drab against the green ground, and were incredulous – a ghost? At the time I was annoyed I did not try to chase it but in hindsight we were very lucky……

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

I don’t know whether this article and video are genuine or it’s just an assumption – claiming that P-63 hit the drone causing it to subsequently hit B-17.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

claiming that P-63 hit the drone causing it to subsequently hit B-17.

Never heard this theory other than in forums, where it usually was discarded. Looking at the videos available, it does not seem that the P63 did any kind of maneuvering prior hitting the B17, it was in a turn trying to catch up with it’s formation. Hence he most probably never saw the B17.

Best explanation of the collision I’ve seen is this:

The Gentleman explains it clearly and comprehensively and leaves no space for doubts. It just illustrates the importance of “Plan your flight, fly your plan” rule.

Last Edited by Pavel at 11 Dec 10:10
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message