Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another (bad) crash at Barcelonette (LFMR)

the site qualification is very important to safety

MOU rating (which is valid in Megeve, Courch…) should be enough for La Môle, it does not have to be a “site checkout”?

Last Edited by Ibra at 31 Dec 09:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I don’t want to make this topic drift too much toward LFTZ, so it will be my last word on it, but for La Mole, Group2 aircraft (All but turbines kind and pistons over 5.7t) need only a pilots checked in the last 6months by a approved FI or flew there in the last 24 month on the same type. It’s less restrictive than a MOU rating for private pilots, but I agree to saying it should be okay for MOU rated ones.
For group 1 aircraft, it’s a totally different thing because – it’s my opinion- liability in case of casualties can fly very high given the weather status of passengers, so they want to ensure landing is safe.

LFMD, France

No really news about this very sad event, just to sum up information that have been given here and there (http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/305325)
The best piece of information I have is from FR24 playback function (thanks MD), where we can see here: (https://www.flightradar24.com/2022-12-28/10:17/12x/FJHKN/2eac3b57 ) a unknown plane (FJHKN) of type “Trin”. This track from FLARM network shows a plane coming from west side of the valley (lac de Serre Poncon) coming to join a left hand circuit for R27 (as published) and correctly lands on LFMR, even beaconning on the apron.
As FLARM beacon is configured by the owner, you can set any reg, and this reg (FJHKN) is not existing on French published list.
It landed at 11h13 local time, not far from the crash time we don’t really know because airfield was desert and fire service have been called by external witnesses.

Crash site is just right short of the R09 displaced threshold, in a wood area between runway and road. We can extrapole that a plane taking off on R27 could have crahed here after an unwanted stall (engine failure complete or partial, mis-management, …). TB21 has all needed power to take off here (it has a turbo), even at MTOW. If this track has been recorded on the crashed TB21, it would mean that airplane crashed on TO.
It wouldn’t be the first one, a king air crashed near in 1986 after engine failure (plane crashed in the wood west of installation).

First communication (either hearsay I received 1hour after crash) said the plane crash landed here, it would mean that pilot attempted a landing on R09 that is not recommended and often contrary to prevalent wind, but it is not forbidden and happens.

Name of victims hasn’t been published but it seems to be a couple of people from Antibes, + 1 people in addition to the pilot. All suffers from heavy burns which made identification complex.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 02 Jan 13:15
LFMD, France
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message