Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PA46T loss of control accident

here

Reportedly they had a jammed aileron.

What could cause that, assuming they did a “full and free controls” check before takeoff?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What could cause that, assuming they did a “full and free controls” check before takeoff?

Why that assumption?

Some tool left inside, a linkage that was not tightened, etc.

… assuming they did a “full and free controls” check before takeoff?

One year ago, a Gulfstream IV failed to rotate and crashed on departure from Bedford, MA because the gust lock was still engaged. The crew, two highly experienced captains with 30.000 flight hours between them, reportedly only performed 2 (!) “full and correct” controls checks during the preceding 179 flights (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-08/u-s-releases-documents-on-plane-crash-that-killed-lewis-katz). PPRuNe has a 12 page long thread on this.

So your assumption, that every pilot performs this check before every flight, might not be correct…

EDDS - Stuttgart

Something left inside the aircraft is the usual suspect when something jams in flight. You do a control check, and everything works, but the change in aircraft attitude makes the tool (or whatever) that was left where it shouldn’t be move and jam the control run.

Andreas IOM

In that part of the world, depending on when it last flew and how it had been treated, rehydrated deciding fluid residue could be a possible cause.

London area

When I was at the airforce one of our aircraft was sent for a full rebuilt at a civilian facility. The aircraft was inspected and signed by the mechanics that did the work, by a second more senior mechanic and by an inspector, the airforce also sent it own inspector to check the aircraft (however, his instructions were to check it for cosmetics only). Then, the 2 test pilots arrived, one was an airforce test pilot and the other from my squadron. The pilots ran their checks and were happy that all is fine, started the engine and went flying…but not for long…the elevator controls were crossed so the elevator was moving in the opposite sense to the pilots command . The test pilot was killed and the other started to walk like a duck, this is after many months in hospital.

You just never know.

It seems ludicrous to me that we keep hearing about ‘crossed control’ incidents. There’s another one in the current US ‘Flying’ magazine.

How is it that control cables are not colour coded, or the terminations made unique, or some other solution that in the car industry would be an integral part of design so that these particular mishaps could never ever happen again?

As for free and correct checks, how many pilots actually note the ‘correct sense’ bit? You can’t see the elevator or rudder in my aircraft anyway. On the other hand, I’m very suspicious of any aircraft after maintenance and would absolutely check all this if I knew the cables had been touched.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

As for free and correct checks, how many pilots actually note the ‘correct sense’ bit?

After maintenance: Always (with the help of another person). Lufthansa Technik managed to cross wire the ailerons of a fly-by-wire A320 in 2001 with a very narrow escape by the pilots:
http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/A320,vicinity_Frankfurt_Germany,2001_%28AWLOCHF%29

Last Edited by what_next at 27 May 17:17
EDDS - Stuttgart

As for free and correct checks, how many pilots actually note the ‘correct sense’ bit?

If you have been flying RC in your youth (or still do), then the correct check becomes second nature after a short while. When I took the PPL my instructor always stressed free and correct. It’s one of those things you never think will happen, but happens from time to time nonetheless.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

On your walkround, lift the elevator and check that the yoke moves back. Then lift an aileron and check that the yoke turns/moves towards you.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message