Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cricket is looking exciting

The cricket if off to a very good start. Looks like it might be a very exciting series.

Well, just to connect this topic more directly to European General Aviation, I did once hear a Ryanair pilot (who else could it have been?) ask London Information for the Grand National results.

Actually, I was surprised not to have heard him ask on 121.5 – the Sport of Kings being far more important than mere life or death to those of us who can claim to be Irish.

Last Edited by Jacko at 06 Aug 20:26
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I was thinking if I could connect it also in some way, but then I thought since it is Hangar Talk we need something more light hearted, and we also need to see how many of us love our cricket. I know some in Europe do – of course our American friends find the game very confusing.

Was it the world cup or one of the later rounds England were in, a few cups ago, and I remember a lot of chatter on Guard about the score. Even the guard police didnt have anything to say.

I have one story on the same vein (well sort of) and maybe others do, so by all means wander the thread around cricket and funny things heard over the radio if there isnt much interest in cricket.

Well, simply a very memorable event for me was being on a flight from the Windies back to Blighty. I recall we must have been around mid Atlantic and the captain came over the tannoy. I kid you not, his open words were “I have some bad news for you”. You can imagine everyone woke from their slumbers. Had an engine fallen off, we wondered. No. True to a word he reported that they had just heard over the HF that Princess Dianna had been very badly injured in a boat accident. Those who will recall, and it was the very early story for some reason, that it was a boat. We all went silent. By the time we arrived in Blighty of course the fall story had broken. It will always stand out in my mind as being one of those occasions in history where you know exactly where you were at the time the news broke.

@Fuji_Abound wrote “will always stand out in my mind as being one of those occasions in history where you know exactly where you were at the time the news broke.”
How right you are, I was on my way to Paris.
It ranks alongside in my memory with the assassination of JFK and 911, you know exactly where you were when you heard the news.
How come we never seem to remember good news in the same detail? Or is it just me?

France

I remember JFK too – 6 year old in Pribram, Czechoslovakia. Half the apartment block was crowded into the one apartment which had a TV. 9/11 – at the office. Diana – driving to go windsurfing on Shoreham Beach

As for “cricket” – what is it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think we remember good events too, I would imagine those of the right age would recall where they were for Germany’s surrender and the end of the war. Ditto landing on the moon.

In a more and more globalizing world it is really comforting to see, that there are still sports that are extremely big in few countries which are really great at them while others don’t even understand the idea – and therefore national leagues are playing on amateur level compared to those countries where they are big.

These include Cricket and Rugby (only played in the former British empire – Rugby, however, is getting more popular also in other countries), Baseball (US, Kuba and Japan), and Football/Soccer (where only the Germans know how to play in Europe ;-))))) )

Germany

Off_Field wrote:

Ditto landing on the moon.

I do. Without boasting (too much) I was inside Jodrell Bank watching the live stream. Long story, and very lucky to be there. You are right a very fine moment for the human race.

Peter wrote:

As for “cricket” – what is it?

Simples.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that’s in the side that’s in goes out, and when he’s out he comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out. When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

All clear now?

Don’t forget to set aside just under a week for a game

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message