Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cringeworthy landings / instruction

Came across this video for some reason. Hard to watch all these repetitive bounced landings. Going over the numbers at 85 knots, touching down (for the first time) at 70 knots…

Luckily, most career pilots in the world never get back into the cockpit of small aircraft after they get their licenses…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

What should it be over the numbers? 70kts?

EGTR

I think DA40 poh/afm has a very prescriptive approach and threshold speeds on various weights, on everything else you would just say 1.3*VS0 which is roughly in the 70kts-80kts for most touring SEP but some can fly slower than that, I would go with 80kts on final and 70kts on 50ft over threshold (don’t know my touch down speed but it should be the slowest aircraft can have on a given day )

I think the guys are just lucky flying DA40 as it stays happy with a flat fast landing or bounce without losing it’s propeller or wing or tail

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

As the old saying goes, there are no bad soldiers – only bad officers

So… who was the instructor?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Often, the instructor can‘t do anything about it. If the school‘s manual says that he should do xx over the threshold, and touch down within yy feet of it, then he has do so.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Phew indeed. I shudder to imagine those people trying to land at places like Wangen Lachen or similar with 500m available. Funnily, I notice that a lot of people in the US cringe at the thought of a runway of less than 3000 ft lenght…. some of those would have a rude awakening in Europe.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Funnily, I notice that a lot of people in the US cringe at the thought of a runway of less than 3000 ft lenght

What does the US have to do with this ?

I would think it is almost impossible to do ab initio PPL training at Wangen-Lachen (~450m) – in any “normal” GA training plane. Well, not without selecting the candidates for aptitude.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Why is it necessary to condescend? Towards „us pilots“ or „career pilots“? One video can hardly be representative.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Literally hundreds of PPLs (including myself) got their PPL at Aachen (520m) in C150, DAxx and PA28.

@boscomantico is spot on. After I qualified as an instructor on a PA28, I refamiliarised myself with the C152 using the school speed of 65kt over the threshold. My landings were horrible, so I went back to the clubhouse, consulted the POH, and went back flying 10 kt or so slower – the first landing was perfect.

After a brief conversation with the CFI, guess what speeds I taught the poor students?

Biggin Hill
43 Posts
Sign in to add your message