Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CRM for PPL pilots ?

Thanks a lot for the feedback! There is a lot of useful information in it….

I agree with dublinpilot that a “formal style” of MCC/SOP operation should not be necessary for flying a simple aircraft.

I will reserve some pre-flight time to discuss and get a clear understanding on things like:
- Who’s PIC
- Who’s doing what?
- Inform the other pilot what you’re doing
- Stick to your personal limits
- Keep each other in the loop

My understanding was that the school were actually ok. Some people just like to dress the part.

I wear gloves, when displaying, Nomex ones, due to the fact that the aircraft I display has no firewall, to speak of. Every little helps.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Rhino may have some comments on the school.

Actually, I have to take back my comment on gloves – a friend who flies in unlimited aerobatic competition wears them for that kind of flying! If I flew like him I’d have to wear diapers

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 Jun 16:30

Silvaire, these were white and drab green, velour type offerings. Soaks up the sweat apparently

EGPF Glasgow

He did it in the States at San Diego.Full check-ride out of there. I think it may have been a Part 141 school.

I, in retrospect, think he was nervous, came on all tough pilot, did not know the aeroplane, despite me briefing him, and asking was he comfortable with the kit. Piece of cake was the reply, then set up the wrong VOR freq, and got lost on the KNS80 RNAV display/data link…….Oh, the joys of it all

EGPF Glasgow

As with most FTOs, nearly all students are airline pilot cadets, so the name of the game is to get them used to the uniformed environment from the start. Where I am based (Shoreham, EGKA) the main FTO there does the same. They turn up in the restaurant wearing the Captain Titanic dress uniform…

What is silly is making private pilot clients wear it too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

JAA IR options I visited one school in Greece who absolutely insisted on the full uniform for everybody. In their temperatures, and in the DA42s, that was ridiculous.

Mind blown. Why in the world would anyone do that?

I can understand uniforms if you’re on an official airline training course for a particular airline, but for non-airline?

Andreas IOM

Sure I say, and he dons the gloves, the white shirt, the lot.

Gloves? I can’t say that’s something I’ve noticed a lot around the airport.

That’s horrid. May I ask where did he do his IR? Was it in the USA (part 61 or a part 141 school) or was it done in Europe (with the checkride in Europe)?

This is unlike the US culture at all, unless he did it at some commercial school in which case anything is possible. When I was looking at the JAA IR options I visited one school in Greece who absolutely insisted on the full uniform for everybody. In their temperatures, and in the DA42s, that was ridiculous.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I flew with a guy recently, newly qualified FAA IR, can I come flying with you. Sure I say, and he dons the gloves, the white shirt, the lot. Now, says he, let ME show you how it is done.

I really, and I am old enough and ugly enough, should have halted it there. I should have politely suggested that we go for a coffee instead. But no, up we went. I had politely suggested he do the NAV and COMMS.

It was the most excruciating 45 minutes of my life. So bad, that I called ATC after the debacle, apologised, and disowned myself form the entire flight.

I spoke later with an examiner/instructor, told him of the ordeal. and asked had I handled it correctly? He suggested that I had. He felt that bust ups, fall outs etc in the air, are a no no. Best to casually deal with the ongoing, and in this case deteriorating situation, and get back onto the ground. I, being a polite soul, did not want to fall out with him at 4k, in a CTZ.

The alternative was to tell him to Shut the ****up, a loud, I HAVE, and tape his mouth shut for the rest of the flight. But no, I practised good GA, CRM.

EGPF Glasgow
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message