Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Crossing borders within Schengen zone

Well, I always carry my passport. I have big pockets and then I know I will never forget it when I need it. Proof of citizenship can be done with a phone today, and it is, with special login procedures issued by the government and banks. Besides, the concept, for no apparent reason, of having to prove who you are to governmental officials will never work in Scandinavia.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

It’s only France where you need passport, due to the special situation there. In no other country (Schengen) I would need passport,

This is a misconception. For intra-Schengen travel you do need either a passport or a national ID card (like the ones issued in Spain and, I believe, Italy). A drivers license is not a valid document even for intra-Schengen travel.

I think Peter’s sentiment, and certainly mine, is not a comment on how it is now….but how it may (will?) become….

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

172driver wrote:

This is a misconception.

Maybe. I don’t know what the exact rules are (hence I always have the passport with me in case I forget it when I need it ) But just last week I traveled to Netherlands and France. Norway-Netherlands, no question about passport either way, can’t remember last time I had to show a passport to Netherlands or Germany. France-Netherlands, had to show passport both ways. Within the Nordic countries, there are no requirements to carry an ID, Schengen or no Schengen, EU or no EU. There are no such laws or regulations, except for non-Nordic citizens, no matter how strange that sounds.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

In practice you are correct, however the legal situation is as I describe. Every summer catches out people driving on holiday with only their drivers licenses. The have some problem and can’t – legally – prove who they are.

As a matter of interest – assuming you traveled by air, didn’t you have to show some proof of ID at check-in? It’s been quite a while since I last traveled intra-Schengen by air, so don’t recall….

172driver wrote:

In practice you are correct, however the legal situation is as I describe. Every summer catches out people driving on holiday with only their drivers licenses. The have some problem and can’t – legally – prove who they are.
Well, that depends. In Sweden, a driver’s license is certainly proof of identity and by far the most common one! It is not a valid identity document for travel abroad, though, as it doesn’t show your nationality.

As a matter of interest – assuming you traveled by air, didn’t you have to show some proof of ID at check-in? It’s been quite a while since I last traveled intra-Schengen by air, so don’t recall….

On my latest commercial air trip in april this year (Stockholm-Frankfurt-Eindhoven and back) there were no ID checks of any kind.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

On my latest commercial air trip in april this year (Stockholm-Frankfurt-Eindhoven and back) there were no ID checks of any kind.

That’s completely unbelievable!

(not that I don’t believe you)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, when you observe that you can enter airside at any Norwegian airport (with luggage – without any screening) without showing any document that proves that you have any legitimate business there… Makes you wonder.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 16 Jul 19:55
LFPT, LFPN

I was thinking of boarding an airliner, without any ID.

Obviously Norway doesn’t have the “problems” which are elsewhere in Europe, so they can be lax because nobody wants to blow up Norway, but Frankfurt??

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have a UK passport and a G reg based in Belgium near Charleroi. Today we filed for LFYG and crossing the FIR just west of Mons we could see horrendous queues of appx 15km at the French border heading west into Valenciennes. We often fly to Cambrai as the fuel is €0.45 ltr cheaper and I considered cancelling the flight due to recent events. We flew as planned and landed at Cambrai to an almost empty field. No Police, Customs or checks of any kind, as per normal! After the Paris attacks they did the same on the E40 east bound at the French/belgian border, causing a queue of 2 hrs! What is the objective there? There are many smaller roads to cross the border completely uncontrolled, do they believe the bad guys only use motorways and lack communications between one another?
So flying Belgium to France in the north is fine and no controls ever encountered. However a pilot at our field recently filed for Grenoble and his plan was rejected as it needed 24hr PNR. As said before, you need to check the AIP for each and every airfield!

Sign in to add your message