Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Crossing borders within Schengen zone

@Pilot_DAR wrote:

Kristiansand screened us last summer when returning to the plane after a stop at the zoo…

Did you go through the terminal or the Firestation? If you went through the terminal was it because you required customs?

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

France does not AFAIK recognize even the French driver’s license a proof of identity.

Same in Croatia.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

A driving license is completely worthless as a proof of ID. I’ve had 7.5k of fraud done on me (2 separate jobs) using a fake DL, presented at a bank in person.

Many years ago, a Brit could travel to France with just a temp ID card, obtained for a few quid at a post office

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Many years ago, a Brit could travel to France with just a temp ID card, obtained for a few quid at a post office

When thinking about it, we are free people living in a free world. Having to walk around with an ID so the government can identify us, is very much like burn marking slaves (also done for security reasons and the common good and law and order and safety and so we are never confused of who belongs where). It’s time to stop this nonsense IMO before we gets all too familiar with it, and feel “unsafe” without it. Maybe that is too late already?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I will always be confused with how people associate having ID card with limiting freedom.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

I will always be confused with how people associate having ID card with limiting freedom

Why is that? An ID card means someone owns you, you belong to someone or something. That is the only function of an ID card. A free human being does need to show he belongs to someone to anyone. This is different from a security card or license, which means you have been “screened”, investigated or have taken tests and found OK to do things that is potentially dangerous/unsafe in some way.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I once heard a story that Nazi Germany imposed ID’s in all countries they occupied, so that it came to be considered a Nazi implement in those countries that did not have them yet – I think it was the case for the Netherlands and, to read from this thread, Norway, plus likely more.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

As ex-Czech I am keeping out of this

Back there, pre-1989, if you were caught outdoors without your passport (a “pas”) that was a criminal offence. Of course it wasn’t really a passport in that you had to get the (virtually impossible to get unless you were a Party brown-noser) exit visa to go anywhere, except to “proper brotherhood communist places” like the DDR, Poland, etc. Yugoslavia was banned because they could travel out of there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We’ve no ID card in Ireland (There is a voluntary scheme for your people who want one to assist with getting into nightclubs and bars).

Public opinion is very much against them.

I think it comes from the idea that “the people” are free to do as they wish, provided they don’t break any laws. The laws that the Government are allowed to make are those which the people allow them to make, and no more.

So the people don’t need to prove anything; it must be the government (who wish to restrict or control a person in some way) who proves their entitlement to restrict the liberty of that person.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Peter wrote:

Back there, pre-1989, if you were caught outdoors without your passport (a “pas”) that was a criminal offence.

It probably still is, at least that is the situation in Hungary. You are much less likely to get prosecuted today, of course, but everyone has to carry a national ID card or passport and be able to show that any time if asked by a police officer.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO
Sign in to add your message