Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DA42 weather radar retrofit

there is significant non reflecting stuff above a cell which should not be flown through (I agree). It is amazing that publications on radar use disagree so much on its proper use.

The newer engines (and obviously the pitot vanes) do not like ice crystals, another factor when deciding about overflight.

I like the radar very much and 99% of the time the auto function works well. The exception is a major squall line (all red) where you have to pick the least worst route in manual mode. There is also a automatic windshear warning system, which runs off the wx radar in the background, even when the radar is manually selected to off.

As I learned to operate wx radars in a twin turboprop this modern stuff feels like a piece of cake. After a few years of using not so sophisticated equipment it’s really a lot about using one’s intuition. I felt very comfortable interpreting the replies on a non „automatic“ radar. Some things need just need time and experience.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 18 Dec 14:02
always learning
LO__, Austria

I must add here that diamond really provides the best bang for the buck with the 42/62: twin, diesel, fadec, wx radar. If one isn’t up to spending significantly more they are very good options.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

I must add here that diamond really provides the best bang for the buck with the 42/62: twin, diesel, fadec, wx radar. If one isn’t up to spending significantly more they are very good options.

I like my DA42 and DAI produces really good aircrafts but they have some issues with aftersales support (not fulfilled promises to DA62 owners regarding G1000 functionalities), lack of SW/HW upgrade availability legacy G1000 for all aircrafts, so it can challenged whether DA62 is best bang for the buck ($1.5 million for unpressurized, FL200, 180 KTAS, 1800 hours TBO).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The old King radars had some form of pitch and roll stabilisation, because the KI256 (which is at least 35 years old now) pitch and roll outputs have since for ever been used for radar stabilisation. Especially the Mod 11 on the KI256 which AIUI was introduced specifically to avoid the loading effect on its outputs when driving both a King autopilot and a King radar.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Question for regular radar users :
the DA42 G1000 manual recommends that the radar is on standby mode during all taxi operations to avoid damage.
The reason is that when it is in standby it stabilized and centered (as opposed to off where it can drop against the stops).

Do you know how critical is it to respect that ? and how quickly damage can occur otherwise ?

Do the same recommendations apply for C510, PA46 or TBMS ?

Thank you in advance

LFPN, LFLI, LFPZ

C510 yes definitely

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message