Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Deadstick Climb Out

I thought this was too wonderful not to post. While I recognize the pilot involved did not pay much attention to transition altitude, did not maintain radio contact (shock, horror), did not file a flight plan, paid no landing or handling fees, probably had never undergone an ECG, did not keep a journey log, had no PPR, did not book in or out, etc etc maybe you can appreciate it anyway. To me, a wonderful example of the art of flying.

Could you do that, given the opportunity? I don't think I could, but maybe by the time I'm his age, I'll be able to :-)

Brilliant!

He looks like Bob Hoover.

I also like the S-turns to lose height when landing.

He has to tap the altimeter because in the absence of vibration it would stick.

The best bit is that, apparently, he has his very own hangar. That's absolutely priceless.

BTW I fixed up the URL; it was some sort of mobile version.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

He has to tap the altimeter because in the absence of vibration it would stick.

This is why real gliders are flown rather by VSI (which he dosen't seem to have) than by altimeter. I do remember this tapping of the altimeter from my gliding days too.

I looked at some of his other YouTube videos - true flying anarchy :-) Don't miss his "Canyon bottom hammer-head" video! (

EDDS - Stuttgart

Cool. And then in a Pacer. Makes for cheap flying for renter pilots charged on Hobbs... I wonder: his speed looks awfully low. Wouldn't one choose minimum sink airspeed to get macimum climb in that situation? I think he does that to avoid the prop starting to windmill.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Wouldn't one choose minimum sink airspeed to get macimum climb in that situation?

I think the thermals in Arizona (Nevada, New Mexico or wherever this was filmed) are so strong that it really dosen't matter. He probably could fly backwards and still climb :-)

EDDS - Stuttgart

BTW I fixed up the URL; it was some sort of mobile version.

Thanks for that :-)

Its actually a Taylorcraft (not a Pacer), which he calls a T-Cart in the title of the video - very common slang. Englishman C.G. Taylor's effort to better the Cub, which he also designed. The Taylorcraft has a very good L/D ratio for what it is, high aspect ratio and fairly clean for an antique. Too small inside for me - with the tendency to add padding to the seats, I've fever found one I could get myself into.

One of best I ever has seen!

EDAZ

(which he dosen't seem to have) VSI is the center instrument! Showing descent of about 100 fpm

VSI is the center instrument! Showing descent of about 100 fpm

Are you sure? It appears that the instrument in the centre is showing that the engine is not turning....RPM close to "0".

YSCB

That's not Bob Hoover.

Nice video; I used to do Cross Countries in the G109B by thermals alone after getting up by using the engine. Admittedly the G109B is a motorglider but few people used it as a glider.

We were charged by the engine minute and soaring was free as nobody did that, well almost nobody did that.

:-)

Happy memories

12 Posts
Sign in to add your message