Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Decommissioning plans for NDB VOR & especially ILS across Europe

Josh wrote:

They also used to have marker beacons for the similar reasons.

AFAIK there must either be marker beacons or a DME on every ILS installation.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I don’t know if one of the above was already posted, but I have received two PDFs:

March 2015
April 2016
on this subject.

Unfortunately both are in French but they are fairly self explanatory.

It seems that France has transferred many ILS approaches, previously funded centrally, into the hands of the airports themselves, who can choose whether to pay for it, or not.

Fairly obviously many will close the ILS in this situation, or close it as soon as it needs significant maintenance.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes that is correct but also that all IFR airports in France will be equipped with GNSS/RNAV approaches by 2017 which is a great improvement (and those are financed by the govt). I have already flown the much welcomed new approaches at LFAT but you have to make sure databases are up to date!

LFLP

However, an GPS/LNAV approach is nothing like an ILS, in terms of capability in weather, and avionics integration (coupled to autopilot all the way down, laterally and vertically).

GPS/LPV is like an ILS but the vast majority of GA is not LPV equipped. The cost of the equipment is at least four figures and in most cases five by the time it has been done properly (not just cutting a hole and throwing in a GNS430W from Ebay).

Administrator

A quite difficult point I think, is that France requires French license holders to have had theoretical training as well as been checked out to use GNSS approaches.

Also, I’m not clear on the exact requirements to be allowed to perform the different GNSS approaches.

e.g. what do you need for LNAV (I suppose GPS with RAIM, no WAAS) LNAV/VNAV needs a baro input which I think won’t be very frequent in GA pistons and then LPV GPS WAAS with RAIM but no vertical guidance) ?

I also read about RNP AR APPCH with remains a mystery to me (but will allow vertival guidance ILS GS-like)

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

It is apparently no longer possible to find GIA63W, should you want to upgrade a G1000 with WAAS capability, or so I heard at Air Expo in Pontoise last week…

LFPT, LFPN

It is apparently no longer possible to find GIA63W, should you want to upgrade a G1000 with WAAS capability, or so I heard at Air Expo in Pontoise last week…

From here, where there is a will and nobody is looking

Whether you can get it installed without authorised dealer co-operation is another matter. The fairly common Euro position, Euro-reg, is that any used part must come with an EASA-1 form, which these obviously won’t. Is there some bilateral concession?

Also I believe all G500 and above modules need installation codes which only dealers can get.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

From here, where there is a will and nobody is looking 

On the page the second link points to, the first device is explicitly non-WAAS. The second says GIA63. If it were a WAAS device, I am sure it would have been explicit about the W.

A Diamond dealer refurbished a DA42 and prepared it for sale; engines replaced and intended to upgrade it to SBAS. They had actually sold the plane, but then were unable to find a -W device for the SBAS upgrade and the deal fell through.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 07 Jun 17:30
LFPT, LFPN

I am not surprised. The number of mugs at that level in the marketplace must be some fairly finite integer

Administrator

Le Touquet ILS was INOP for months but has come back, so the original list doesn’t appear to be fully implemented.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message