Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Definition of flying things in Europe

Sure, but are they aircraft with the privileges of a homebuilt, or aircraft with the privileges of an ultralight?

These two have different international privileges, different licensing and medical requirements, etc.

ULs have generally greater privileges, which AIUI is why they 600kg categorisation is unpopular in some quarters.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter,

Just a thought: I gather that Sam has some experience of organising more and less adventurous flights, but it must be hard for him to share that knowledge here without putting it in context.

I’ve no connection to Sam or to his various enterprises (except that he used to own a Maule), but I didn’t perceive his original post as “advertising” and I think this thread made more sense as it was, including reference to his Belgian ausflug.

And in answer to your question, yes, many ultralight aeroplanes and helicopters are >51% home built.

ATB, Peter.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Sorry, I deliberately kept the reason for asking to a minimum but clearly went too far anyway, sorry!

I do participate in the forum, though perhaps not hugely!

I edited your posts to remove the advertising stuff, Sam. This keeps happening… we allow advertising but only if the poster participates generally and usefully etc in the forum, which you don’t. We’ve been here before a number of times…

Is there an overlap between 4 and 6?

Can you have a homebuilt which becomes an official ultralight category? IOW, are all official ultralights factory built?

Administrator

Thanks all – hm, there isn’t an easy answer then. Shoot!

Latest list:

1. Vintage (pre 1949) Biplane
  2. Vintage (pre 1949) Monoplane
  3. Standard Category
  4. Light Sport/Microlight
  5. Turbine
  6. Experimental/Homebuilt

Is there an overlap between 4 and 6?

Thanks, Sam.

OK, yes, there is this etc. This was another one about whether there are “certified” aircraft which are non-EASA… I find it pretty confusing, and clearly the definitions are relevant to some extent according to what one wants to do with it.

Administrator

Peter, I beg to differ, there are lots of certified Annex II aircraft, but their type certificates are not managed under EASA. Here is a definition of what falls under Annex II along with a 40-page non-exhaustive list of mass-produced Annex II aircraft types. In particular, vintage types and warbirds are typically under Annex II. Chipmunk, Beaver, Otter, AN-2, AN-12, Bü-131 Jungmann, Cessna 120/140/170 are all Annex II.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 13 Jan 19:37
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

One thread is here.

I think

Home-built
Experimental
Annex 2

are basically all the same thing in Europe.

Administrator

Is there a list somewhere of the different categories of things that fly in Europe?

Something like (for fixed wing):

Certified
Light Sport
Microlight
Home-built
Experimental
Annex 2
etc. etc.

What of these are the same, why are they different etc.?

I’m trying to get a handle on what appears to be quite a complex area but must be, in reality, fairly simple. We’re running a competition later this year, and I would like to have a clear idea of what is what…

Last Edited by removed0 at 13 Jan 17:53
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message