Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Denmark Norway Sweden and Spain - ban on N-reg long term parking

As mentioned I posted the question on the small-and-only Danish aviation forum pilots.dk
It has been read by 300 by now but noone replied yet. There could be a number of reasons for that.
Recent hearsay suggests that the (probably quite few) N-reg owners here just considers it silly to pay EUR 700 (a one-time fee, apparently) to have someone extra-check the airplane documents and risk unforeseen bureaucratic trouble. Instead they (succesfully?) play hide and seek. So, the people with the best knowledge could be the ones with the best reasons to not stick their neck out in a forum where anonymity is an illusion and the CAA follows.
If I bump into a CAA person with knowledge I shall ask about the number of foreign-reg approvals granted so far.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Yes, Danish CAA ceased to exist as an independent agency 4 years ago, but what happened was that it was slimmed down a little and incorporated as an office in the Transport Agency under DoT. Danish aviation just was not big enough to justify its own agency any longer.

On the down side, response times from the office have gone up, supposedly because of the slimming. Some of the most experienced people from the CAA have gone. There is some lag and confusion regarding deleting/amending old national rules these years while EASA is spreading out its legislation. On the plus side, in many areas there is now a more constructive dialog with AOPA and other national aviation unions, than ever before. Considering its limited member size, Danish AOPA is fortunately quite active.

I still write “CAA” out of sheer laziness. I really should write “the aviation office in the Danish Transport Agency” every time.

Last Edited by huv at 28 Feb 16:57
huv
EKRK, Denmark

Moved from here

No it’s illegal for longer than 6 months.

Obviously, it cannot be illegal immediately otherwise no N-reg could fly to Norway!

Is there a law you can quote?

BTW, the Danish version of the N-reg restriction is discussed here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Any further input on this, @huv?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s the law. It is higher up in the hierarchy than any regulation or agreements, EASA or local (EASA regulations/law are not law in Norway)

What it say is that aviation within Norwegian airspace can only be done with:

1. Norwegian registered aircraft
  2. Aircraft that, according to the law or regulation with reference to the law, can be put on par with Norwegian nationality
  3. A foreign state with an agreement about such aviation activity
  4. Special permission by LT

LT has issued a couple of AICs about this. What they say is there are no foreign nations that would make 2 or 3 come into effect, so it’s all by special permission by LT. LT has simply decided 6 months max for all foreign aircraft as a general policy (can be prolonged to 12 months, but never longer). A year or two ago they softened up a little and allow EASA aircraft indefinitely (with certain strings attached).

Anyone can stay for 6 months, no prior permission or anything. Longer than 6 months – after an application is approved. Longer than 12 months – Njet

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

EASA regulations/law are not law in Norway

I believed that EU regulations are law in Norway whenever Norway decides they should be law in Norway.

Norway is a full member af EASA and when I fly in Norway I am confident that Part-SERA and now also Part-NCO is law in Norway.

If I am wrong, please tell me what is the status of Part-SERA etc. in Norway.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I have just asked. An owner that I know have just re-registered his OY- airplane to N-reg, claiming that saves him EUR 100k+ for not having to comply with some requirements, Danish or European, I do not know. He lives and operates in Denmark. My feeling is that things are softening up, but I do not know for real. I’ll try to remember to get back on this.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

huv wrote:

claiming that saves him EUR 100k+ for not having to comply with some requirements, Danish or European

What type is that? It must be maintenance related, it can’t be airspace and ops is also not likely (but I don’t keep track of derogations).

huv wrote:

Part-SERA and now also Part-NCO is law in Norway

Not law, but regulation (forskrift in Norwegian). NCO has been in effect for 2 years already, as well as SERA. It makes no difference to you and me if it’s a law or a regulation. It is exactly as illegal to break a regulation as a law, because regulations must always refer to a law. In simplified term, the government makes laws, and LT makes regulations. The whole of Air Operations, including Part NCO, only refers to 6 individual paragraphs in the law.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Martin wrote:

What type is that? It must be maintenance related,

Helicopter, yes, maintenance.

huv
EKRK, Denmark
Sign in to add your message