Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Denmark Norway Sweden and Spain - ban on N-reg long term parking

Aviathor wrote:

True

I share your frustration.
I hope HUV and AOPA can straighten them out….

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

I knew the route was cheap, but did not realise it was THAT cheap. Just checked the VAT papers of my own aircraft and it was 0%

LFPT, LFPN

Relevant information for Sweden:

Source: https://lagen.nu/2010:500

Law 2010:500 section 6 first paragraph:
Ett luftfartyg som används vid luftfart inom svenskt område ska vara registrerat i Sverige eller i ett annat land som är medlem i Internationella civila luftfartsorganisationen (ICAO) eller som Sverige träffat avtal med om rätt till luftfart inom svenskt område. Ett luftfartyg som inte används vid tillståndspliktig luftfart och som stadigvarande används inom svenskt område ska vara registrerat i Sverige.

Not legally binding translation:
An aircraft used in aviation in the Swedish area shall be registered in Sweden or in another country which is a member of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) or as Sweden has concluded an agreement on the right to air navigation within the Swedish area. An aircraft not used for aviation subject to authorization (like in an AOC) and permanently used in Swedish territory shall be registered in Sweden.

This paragraph is also cited in the Swedish VFR manual

As someone mentioned in a Swedish aviation forum this law might have been rendered null and void by some EU regulation. However, I guess we will never know until someone gets in trouble and takes the government to the court.

ESME, ESMS

Very interesting, especially with nobody having mentioned this previously.

I wonder how much of that legislation is invalid for some reason, or is not enforced on some policy grounds?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I wonder how much of that legislation is invalid for some reason, or is not enforced on some policy grounds?

What do the EASA regulations say about these things? Anything at all? Or is that some higher in the hierarchy/more general EU regulations? What should that be except local law? I notice you use the term “parking”. Why is that exactly? None of the laws or regulation refer to parking, it’s about operation/use (from/in/by). You can park an aircraft as long as you want, but you cannot use it after 6 months since you parked, or entered into the airspace (unless you get a special permission from the authority).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I notice you use the term “parking”. Why is that exactly?

This topic was examined in 2005 – some background here – and it really does come down to a long term parking limit. This is because most private planes hardly ever fly, and spend most of whatever the max permitted time might be sitting on the ground. Enforcement of any such timed ban cannot be based on it flying, and must be possible even when the aircraft is permanently parked.

There are all sorts of difficulties with practical enforcement. These came out in e.g. the Italian move some years ago, referred to at the very end of this. You have to make exceptions for AOG cases, and there are all sorts of resulting workarounds. It doesn’t really work, so e.g. Denmark has been doing sporadic fines, which spread FUD and that’s good enough because pilots are mostly a very compliant crowd.

That you can park an aircraft as long as you want (which clearly you can, especially in a private hangar) but can’t fly it after time X is the same thing.

Administrator

Someone has just told me that Denmark will ban long term parking of G-reg planes after brexit. I asked him for supporting info and thus far not heard anything. However, it would be in line with their similar ban on N-regs.

Administrator

@huv

The AIC B 66/2009 (Denmark) in Peter’s original post is no longer listed in the Danish eAIP (link). I can’t find a more recent circular superseding it. Has the restriction on non-AOC and privately operated third-country aircraft based in Danish territory, specifically Greenland, been withdrawn?

London, United Kingdom

The AIC has been superseded by AIC B 20/2012, which appears to be valid. The AIC itself states that it is less restrictive that the former AIC, but it still requires special permission for anything beyond visiting Denmark. The change from the old AIC is that a permission without a time limit can be requested, but it requires EASA CoA, other paperwork including CAMO documents, and “a fee”.

While the validity of the AIC (and many other national rules) in the EU part of Denmark is disputed (by e.g. AOPA), I am not aware of any discussion about the jurisdiction of this in Greenland, which is outside EU and EASA.

Are you able to understand written Danish or can I be of assistance with translation?

Last Edited by huv at 16 Mar 12:10
huv
EKRK, Denmark

Peter wrote:

Someone has just told me that Denmark will ban long term parking of G-reg planes after brexit

It’s the same for Norway, but it depends whether or not the UK is a part of EASA, not Brexit as such. Even so, EASA planes (non LN reg) are still subject to oversight by the Norwegian CAA if they stay longer than 6 months.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message