Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Denmark & Sweden

Hi all,

Together with two others, I’ll be going on a VFR flying trip from Belgium to Denmark and Sweden. The trip specs are as follows:

- 4 days
- focus on flying rather than sightseeing
- 1- 3 hrs / leg

To make sure we are getting the most out of this trip, I’d like to ask for your feedback on the following:

- which places would you recommend for a quick stop & refueling (JET-A1)
- which places would you recommend to spend the night (decent hotel & restaurants not too far from the airport)
- anything we need to be mindful of when flying through Denmark & Sweden

Thank you in advance!

Best regards.

Sounds like a nice trip!

For Sweden, here’s just a few tips
- There’s an old “VFR Flight in Sweden” bulletin that is still useful. I found it on Google, take a look at it before you depart if you’re unfamiliar with Sweden, especially in the south we have lots of class C airspace due to the many airports, don’t forget to ask for clearance! It’s rarely a problem if you ask and is on a flight plan. http://www.daec.de/fileadmin/user_upload/files/2012/fachbereiche/luftraum/A3-2007VFR_SCHW..pdf

- In the south, there is Roskilde in Denmark near Copenhagen, and Malmö Airport (ESMS) just east of Malmoe. There is an airport hotel next to Mamoe airport if you really fancy staying close to the airport, otherwise I recommend to take a bus or taxi (around 35euro max) to Malmoe. Read Peter’s report: http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/esms/

- If you want a grass field, Höganäs (ESMH) is usually quite popular, they also provide JET-A1 and accommodation IIRC. Very close to the local small city and beautifully in the northwestern part of Skåne (www.skane.com)

- A bit north you have Visingsö – Öland – Gotland (Visby, ESSV). The last one provide JET-A1.

Don’t hesitate to ask if you have any additional questions, I know we are a couple of Swedish pilots on the forum.

In Sweden you can get JET-A1 at towered regional airports during the tower’s open hours: Malmö (ESMS), Kristianstad (ESMK), Ronneby (ESDF), Ängelholm (ESTA), Halmstad (ESMT), Växjö (ESMX), Jönköping (ESGJ), Kalmar (ESMQ), Säve (ESGP), Linköping (ESSL)… look for a CTR and check the NOTAMs for opening hours.
Few clubs and small fields have JET-A1. Höganäs (ESMH) as mentioned by Martin, Feringe (ESMG), Linköping (ESSL) at the GA apron when there is people at the club
In Denmark Roskilde (EKRK) and Bornholm (EKRN) are recommended GA-friendly stops (and have fuel).
Flying VFR, you will be required to stay away from / below the CPH/EKCH TMA. The regional fields have 3 flights a day from Stockholm, the rest of the time getting clearance through is usually not a problem, especially if you have sent in a flightplan. Outside these is a lot of G-air.
Both countries are quite scenic from above, you will do sightseeing whether you want it or not!

ESMK, Sweden

I am currently in Copenhagen. Very worthwhile, at least in this weather. If you have any specific questions about the airport or going to Copenhagen, feel free to ask.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@boscomantico I am also planning a trip for the first week in August. I have a quote for Oslo which seemed ok at just under 200euro for three days with handeling.

Where do you go for Copenhagen?

(Sorry to hijack thread!)

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Hi guys,

Thanks for the great feedback so far. Really helpful.

The document that Martin linked to mentions a Weekly Season Card. Any idea where this can be obtained?

For Copenhagen, I do indeed recommend Roskilde (EKRK).

Kastrup is much closer, but has become very expensive and doesn’t like light GA any more.

Roskilde is one of those airports which work perfectly, with zero hassles. One of the best GA airports of Europe, along with places like Portoroz. No PPR whatsoever, no handling, low fees, fuel, ILS, excellent opening hours, customs, rental cars available, the whole lot.

The only thing is that the airport is a fair distance from the city.

Two choices: either take a rental car or take a taxi to Roskilde train station and then take the train. In our case, we are in four and the rental car was the better option. However do figure in that parking a car is expensive in Copenhagen.

Also, prepare to see the most beautiful gurls you can immagine, by the thousands!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

ThreePoint, you can read about the charges here: https://www.swedavia.se/Global/Swedavia/Flygmarknad/Pricelist_Less_than_5700kg_1APRIL.pdf

Page 9 describes the weekly card!

If your intention is to head further up north in Sweden than just the most southern parts, I would definitely recommend a visit to Stegeborg, about 60-70 NM south of Stockholm(http://www.stegeborg.se/en/flygfalt.php). It is a nice grass strip with beautiful surroundings. There is a hotel and a nice restaurant in the vicinity. You should go there!

ESSZ, Sweden

Alex_ wrote:

@boscomantico I am also planning a trip for the first week in August. I have a quote for Oslo which seemed ok at just under 200euro for three days with handeling.

@Alex_ For Oslo do not go into ENGM (Gardermoen) unless you really need to. Getting from the GA terminal to the train station (or to Oslo) is a drag and is expensive. No reason to pay 200 € when you can land at ENKJ for a lot less and experience the Norwegian club scene . ENKJ (Kjeller) is in walking distance from the Lillestrøm train station, or there is a bus stop just outside the airfield gate and the bus will take you to the train station.

You can even get an IFR departure clearance from Oslo APP on the ground at ENKJ, which is yet another reason not to go to ENGM.

If you need fuel they have both 100LL and Jet-A1 (Air BP card). If you do not have an Air BP card, you may be able to arrange fuel with one of the two aeroclubs, or Kjeller Aero Senter. You need a PPR from Kjeller Aero Senter, but that is AFAIK just a formality.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 25 Jul 09:23
LFPT, LFPN
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message