Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Destination tips in North Italy/south Austria

thanks, I was expecting at least Boscomantico to speak up ;-) it´s on my fly-to list for this year..

LKKU, LKTB

Bosco thank you for the photos.

You could get real mountain flying training in Belluno, including on typical mountain strips and ski plane training in different conditions – if I had the time would be good spending time there and getting the Italian mountain rating.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

A few photos…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Belluno is a very beautiful, scenic airfield, surrounded by the southeastern parts of the Dolomites.

Been there a few a times, in the TB20 and in the C172, both times with three up and lots if fuel. No problem at all. More than 800 metres and clear approaches. Just mind the various bits of airspace in the vicinity.

This is very much an aeroclub type airfield without much international traffic, so don’t expect them (both on the radio and on the phone) to speak much English.

They charge a modest landing fee. There is a bus stop just outside the car park. If you are lucky, you can catch a bus into town. Otherwise, someone will give you a lift or call you a taxi. The town is a lovely place for a day. If you have time and can get hold of a car do Belluon – Agordo – Cortina d’Ampezzo – Pieve di Cadore and back to Belluno.

Fuel (100LL) is available but officially “aeroclub only”. Mondays closed. Mind the lunch break.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Sorry, seems I mixed that up with Asiago …

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

do you remember which thread was on Belluno? I can´t find it.

LKKU, LKTB

There was a detailed post on Belluno a few weeks ago.

In Austria, the only 2 fields south of the Alps that may be suitable for your mission are Lienz LOKL (VFR, about 650 m concrete rwy) and Klagenfurt LOWK (full service international airport).

Lienz is good for skiing in winter and mountaineering in summer, Klagenfurt too (although with longer ground transportation time) plus the Carinthian lakes immediately nearby.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Look Belluno is the primary target now. Anybody been there, any experience to share? Anything better in that area?
before you ask – of course I am looking for 1500m paved runway with ILS and three-plate restaurant with mountain view north and ocean southwards but one has to make compromises…plane will be probably Turbo Arrow not at fully weight so 800 m runway should be doable.

LKKU, LKTB
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message