Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Did I miss something? Silence in France/Germany on November 2

Yesterday I flew IFR from Sabadell LELL to Kassel EDVK. On all frequencies in France and Germany it was very, very quite. That required here and there a radio check from ATC and myself. It also appeared that in France the sectors have been enlarged. ATC in France and Germany also said “yeah, very quite today”

So…. Did I miss something? After all it was Monday.

Frequent travels around Europe

I had that too in Germany a while ago. I didn’t hear anything on the radio for about 20 minutes. I got worried as there might be an issue with my radios so did a radio check. But all was fine. The female controller sounded bored and started to give some info on traffic which was about to enter her sector…

You need to spend very minimal time setting up FR24 alerts to realise that GA traffic in all of Europe works in some very well defined patterns e.g.

• almost nobody flies on weekdays – other than very brief local stuff
  • many types (probably types not usable for PPL training) practically never fly on weekdays
  • almost nobody flies above a few thousand feet (and most of those that do are in/around the Alps)
  • almost nobody flies Eurocontrol IFR (airway MEAs)

If this was subject to political correctness I would be in big trouble

BTW, the alerts you get from the FR24 app are completely different (and much more comprehensive) to what the FR24 website shows.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I was talking about IFR at FL140. Usually there are a lot of CAT on frequency.

It was a Monday, and on top it was a legal holiday in certain countries. BE at least, and usually FR has the same.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Impact of fog delays / cancellations?

EGKB

That’s a good point. There was a lot of fog around. I was at a good vantage point.

Actually I changed my flight plan shortly after crossing over into France from Spain. The original destination was LFGA and it was reporting OVC003. So I asked Montpellier to change the plan. Somehow that was not reported correctly and I ended up flying over LFGA (see picture) and I had to do the change to EDVK again with the controller of that sector. The difference in total travel time was minimal so not a big deal.

EDVK was also reporting fog but the temperature was rising and the nearby EDLP (Paderborn) reported CAVOK.

I also crossed EDDF Frankfurt at FL140. They were under some sort of low cloud and right at the edge of it. The city itself was in the clear and I only saw two airliners coming out of it. Nobody on the ILS.

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 03 Nov 12:56
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message