Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Diesel: why is it not taking off?

So i had a meeting with the CAA of the Netherlands regarding relaxed maintenance for non-commercial ops. Some interesting points:

1. Rules for maintenance for ELA-2 aircraft expected to become law before the end of 2017. Basically same rules as for ELA-1 aircraft.

2. Conti Diesels: engine core may be run beyond its calendar time/flight hour TBR limitation as currently applicable, unless Conti or the airframe manufacturer would change such limitations from ‘recommended’ to ‘mandatory’. Note that various of the components of the Conti engines (gearbox, pumps, alternators, hoses, pipes etc) are still listed under chapter 4, ‘airworthiness limitations’ and need to be replaced/inspected periodically.

As an aside, Conti seems to have introduced the possibility for overhaul. I don’t have any details on this. I guess this is a sensible commercial decision to at least extract SOME money out of some of us when the time comes ;)

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Aviathor wrote:

and GFC700

No, originally they just changed engines, cowlings and landing gear.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

These DA42 posts should have gone on the end of one of the DA42 threads

Too many for me to move now…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Romain wrote:

NG upgrade is basically just the engine change (Austro Engine)

and GFC700 AFAIU.

The problem with the NG is the poor payload. It is barely a 3-seater. Other than that, I love it. AFAIU the -VI empty mass is somewhat lower and the MTOW has been increased.

Back in February I was in touch with a Diamond dealer in Avignon who informed me that Diamond had performed only one CD-155 upgrade. The cost is 165 k€ + VAT. Crosby had at that time performed two upgrades. They are ca. 135 k€ + VAT not including the new propellers which cost 24 k€. In comparison I believe the upgrade from 1.7 l Thielerts to CD-135 is 55 k€ + VAT.

The advantage of the CD-155 is that it provides more power without too much of a weight penalty, and a higher turbo-critical altitude,

LFPT, LFPN

Emir wrote:

NG upgrade is definitely different than -VI.

NG upgrade is basically just the engine change (Austro Engine)
-VI upgrade has Austro Engine and all the aerodynamical modifications increase of MTOW…

Do you think they will put the AE330 (180hp) on the next model of DA42 ? He should be able to cruise around 200kts (with less than 92% of power)

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

NG upgrade is definitely different than -VI.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The -NG conversion I fly does have vortex generators on the wings. Need to be careful not to step on them. It is not a -VI. MTOW 1900 kg, MLDW 1805 kg. AE300. GFC700.

Don’t think the LDG was changed, nor the tail.

LFPT, LFPN

Emir wrote:

BTW -IV upgrade is €240k AFAIK. Crosby’s upgrade start with €125k plus additional €25k for optional scimitar props.

@Romain: Do you know how much this conversion costed?

They did it when it came out (almost to years now) the mechanic told me he paid more or less 200.000€. (With GFC700 and GDL69)
He had a good price but as he was one of the first to get the conversion, it took the factory 8 month to do it…

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

NG doesn’t gave wortex generators (Crosby’s conversion has them) rudder authority in case of OEI is ensured with bigger rudder – that’s why they do tail modifications. Landing gear is more-less completely changed as I understand to feature 1999 kg aircraft (comparing to 1780 kg originally).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

BTW -IV upgrade is €240k AFAIK. Crosby’s upgrade start with €125k plus additional €25k for optional scimitar props.

@Romain: Do you know how much this conversion costed?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
454 Posts
Sign in to add your message