Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Differences training

I think Ibra is pulling your leg

The FI that I referred to is in Germany.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have a question on differences training.

X does his PPL in a PA28-161.

X can jump into a TB20 legally and fly it as PIC. Unwise without appropriate training, but that’s not the Q.

Now what if the TB20 is N-reg?

The FAA needs a “complex” signoff.

Obviously X can be PIC only in the UK (FAR 61.3) unless he gets himself a 61.75 piggyback FAA PPL.

Administrator

X does his PPL in a PA28-161.
X can jump into a TB20 legally and fly it as PIC. Unwise without appropriate training, but that’s not the Q.

Acc. EASA FCL 710 X would need differences training for retractable gear and variable pitch propeller before flying the TB20.

Obviously X can be PIC only in the UK (FAR 61.3) unless he gets himself a 61.75 piggyback FAA PPL.

The FAA allows flying N-reg in the country of license issue. So, if X has a UK issued PPL, he could fly the TB20 in UK airspace, without a 61.75. I don’t think a complex endorsement is required in this case.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 24 Jun 06:23
always learning
LO__, Austria

Acc. EASA FCL 710 X would need differences training for retractable gear and variable pitch propeller before flying the TB20.

How come earlier posts in this thread say otherwise?

Administrator

@Snoopy is definitely right about the EASA FCL requirement for differences training in this case. There are cases where the requirement for d.t. is debatable/disputed/questionable/unclear, but this is not one.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Peter wrote:

How come earlier posts in this thread say otherwise?

What posts are you referring to? (There are currently 115 posts in the thread.) But yes, part-FCL is clear that you can’t just jump from a PA28-161 to a TB20 without additional training.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

If you are flying on EASA PPL you can’t jump between PA28-161 and TB20 without difference training (it could be via a briefing though) if you are flying on EASA PPL as per FCL

If you are flying on FAA PPL (stand-alone or piggyback) you need BFR+SEL, “complex” and “high performance” endorsements as per FAR

The aircraft reg is irrelevant, it’s which licence you are flying on either FAA PPL or EASA PPL

For instance, you can fly N-reg with flaps on UK PPL without “complex flaps” training

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Jun 08:08
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

In the FAA case you need the logbook endorsement by authorized instructor (sic) unless you have logged time in the “complex” aircraft before 1997. Can that be done by any instructor not just an FAA one?

Ted
United Kingdom

I asked the same question while ago, my understanding EASA CRI can’t do FAR complex signoff even for the “retractable gear” (same in EASA & FAA), you can do instruction flight for FCL PPL holder and FCL logbook signoff to fly solo in N-reg as in G-reg, but limited to UK airspace though, to fly it on FAA he needs an FAA CFI…

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Jun 08:40
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

If you are flying on EASA PPL you can’t jump between PA28-161 and TB20 without difference training (it could be via a briefing though) if you are flying on EASA PPL as per FCL

Briefing (self study etc..) only applies when the FCL requires only a familiarization across airplanes with similar capabilities.

Example (EASA):

A) C150 → PA28-140 = both are SEP „variants“, both fixed gear, fixed prop = self familiarization via POH sufficient.
Note: FCL refers to only a familiarization (not the words familiarization training).

B) C150 → TB20 = both are SEP variants but one has RG and VP = differences training required = flight with instructor and logbook entry required.

Why? Because the law (EU 2018/1139, Essential Requirements for Aircrew) defines „Training“ as follows:

„Training“ must (among other reqs.)
- be executed through a training course
- adhere to a syllabus
- contain theoretical knowledge and PRACTICAL flight instruction.

As the FCL refers to a „differences TRAINING“, one can deduce that a „briefing“ alone is not sufficient.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message