Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Differences training

Is it a JAR-FCL (now EASA) CPL, or an FAA CPL?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ah my apologies. It is a JAR/EASA CPL.

United Kingdom

Retract and VP is implied in the JAR/EASA CPL, but you need 2 year recency. If you've not flown either/both of those in the last 2 years, you need to refresh it with an instructor.

Turbocharged engines are not implied in the CPL (unless you happened to do the CPL in a turbocharged engine aeroplane) - and you say you've not flown a turbocharged aircraft before. So, you do need to do this as a new piece of differences training.

The most readily available turbocharged aeroplane to do that differences training is usually a turbo-arrow. I may be incorrect on this last bit, but so far as I know there's no reason you can't do turbo differences on a single and carry that across to a twin.

G

Boffin at large
Various, southern UK.

Unless there are change between JAR FCL and EASA, you need no differences training for the turbocharger. See here:

http://www.euroga.org/forums/flying/263-differences-training

EDDS - Stuttgart

All you need is an instructor sign for turbocharger difference training in your logbook. I think he doesn't even have to fly with you.

Same for EFIS (glass cockpit) by the way. I have seen somebody get that endorsement from an instructor that doesn't know zilch about glass cockpits

As its a twin you need differences training on the specific variant. Differences do not carry over from single to twin or from one variant to another. You can currently only fly a BE76, any other twin requires differences training every 2 years.

FCL.710 Class and type ratings — variants

(a) In order to extend his/her privileges to another variant of aircraft within one class or type rating, the pilot shall undertake differences or familiarisation training. In the case of variants within a type rating, the differences or familiarisation training shall include the relevant elements defined in the operational suitability data established in accordance with Part-21.

(b) If the variant has not been flown within a period of 2 years following the differences raining, further differences training or a proficiency check in that variant shall be required to maintain the privileges, except for types or variants within the single-engine piston and TMG class ratings.

All former JAA licences are now EASA licences. JAA licences no longer exist!

Would it satisfy any requirements for my logbook to be signed off by the training captain by doing the OPC with the company?

United Kingdom

Would it satisfy any requirements for my logbook to be signed off by the training captain by doing the OPC with the company?

Only if he is a class rating instructor for MEP!

EDDS - Stuttgart

If you want this to turn into a very long thread, have a very careful read of the EASA explanatory note on its list of class and type ratings.

what next,

I happen to know that he is so that would cover it.

bookworm,

Would that be suggesting that a MEP (land) rating covers any MEP (land) aircraft regardless of systems (EFIS/Turbo/Press etc)? There is a high chance that I am reading it wrongly but initially that is the way it reads to me.

Whenever “(D)” is indicated in column 3 in one of t he lists mentioned in paragraphs 2.1 to 2.3 above, it indicates that diff erences training in accordance with FCL.710 is required when moving between varian ts or other types of aircraft which are separated by the use of a line, in column 2.

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message