Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Distance Learning for PPL/LAPL theory?

Lots of people are struggling to attend the mandatory classroom lessons for their license.
Are there any good providers of distance learning for PPL/LAPL theory out there? Anyone in UK?

ESSZ, Sweden

There are no mandatory classroom lessons in the UK. Just buy the books, self teach and complete the exams at an ATO.

Everybody has their own style they like. From my perspective, I find the website https://www.recreationalflying.com/tutorials/ excellent. It’s free too!

Quite a few American PPL video series on YouTube.

Online question banks are also a very useful tool.

S57
EGBJ, United Kingdom

S57 wrote:

There are no mandatory classroom lessons in the UK. Just buy the books, self teach and complete the exams at an ATO.

Interesting, is there really no classroom tutoring? That does not really seem EASA compliant. However, I think it is a fair way of dealing with the theoretical part. Now with the new DTO rules, it seems that distance learning might be more available.

I am looking for some e-learning in English, would be great to know.

ESSZ, Sweden

Most UK schools do run evening classes and such. When I was doing my PPL these were £10 per person. Most people find it helps them through the exams. But the proposal to make x hours mandatory has AFAIK been cancelled (some previous threads on this I think).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

https://www.easypplgroundschool.com

This might be worth a look (I have no business link )

Now retired from forums best wishes

Peter wrote:

But the proposal to make x hours mandatory has AFAIK been cancelled (some previous threads on this I think).

Well, at least in Sweden(and all of EASA AFAIK) there is a requirement for 100 hrs theoretical instruction for PPL training. If you do distance learning, there is still a requirement for at least 10 hours.

ESSZ, Sweden

The 100 hours is only an AMC in to FCL.210.
The UK has an Alternative MOC whithout the 100 hours.
France and Netherlands also have declared AltMOC but I haven’t check their content.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

When I started my PPL, about four years ago, I was told of the mandatory 100 hour ground school but the club’s view was that most of that would be covered by the pre and post flight briefings each time I flew – which I thought was an excellent way to deal with it! Subsequently I think the CAA dropped the mandatory minimum.

I was offered ground school as a way of passing the exams but chose to read Trevor Thom and Jeremy Pratt books from cover to cover. I used the Jeremy Pratt/AFE revision books and an online PPL question bank. I bought most of the books cheap on eBay and spend the savings from not paying for ground school on AVGAS!!!

Ground school suits some people but if it is not mandatory I would encourage students to see how they do on one of the online question banks before parting with the cash for ground school – it might not be as difficult as you think!

PJL
EGMD, EGKA

Xtophe wrote:

The UK has an Alternative MOC whithout the 100 hours.

That sounds great, if there is an AltMoC it would apply in all member states. Anyone has a link to it? I will try to google it.

ESSZ, Sweden

Think I found it, CAP1298. Looks good, I will have a look at it. If I am not mistaken, all approved AltMoCs should be applicable in all member states. Otherwise it would create unfair competition.

[ local copy ]

ESSZ, Sweden
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message