Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DIY ILS app (GPS-ILS)

Not sure if I have posted this previously but GPS-ILS does not save the geoid correction config setting, on my Samsung S6 (v5.x) phone. One has to directly edit some file. Not sure if that required a rooted phone.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter
It occurs to me that a reasonable use for this kind of app might be for pilots to practice hand flying approaches under the hood (with safety pilot) in aircraft which have no certified ILS receiver. I haven’t tried it, but does it look as if it might work as a training device?
Peter.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Achim wrote:

it’s much safer to do a DIY instrument approach than trying to scud run home from the neighboring IAP

I prefer to use a certified approach and fly home in 500 feet AGL (in the mountainless are where i am) than to use a DIY approach on a smartphone. That is because i trust my eyes more than some app.

Given recent events in the Scillies, one might speculate about how wise use of this app in IMC might be…

London area

Did the pilot use GPS-ILS to land on 32 in EGHE? I have not read that anywhere, I believe he said he was flying the NDB 32 as a GPS overlay with the intention of circling but then due to the weather, ended up continuing the 32 straight in.

I prefer to use a certified approach and fly home in 500 feet AGL (in the mountainless are where i am) than to use a DIY approach on a smartphone. That is because i trust my eyes more than some app.

I agree.

And if I was doing DIY letdowns (which I have designed, tested in VMC, and flown) I would use the IFR GPS, with a proper antenna, etc. And nobody else flies my plane so nobody will be messing with user waypoints and get me into a mess (that’s actually happened).

The fact that nobody is talking about how the GPS-ILS database was generated is of concern. OTOH the reason for the non-talking to me could be political (I am not going into details here but UK old-timers will know exactly what I mean).

Did the pilot use GPS-ILS to land on 32 in EGHE? I have not read that anywhere, I believe he said he was flying the NDB 32 as a GPS overlay with the intention of circling but then due to the weather, ended up continuing the 32 straight in.

It is well known that he was very much involved with the app (he posted that all over the UK chat sites) and he generated the UK part of its database. What he actually flew with at EGHE I have no idea at all and have no opinion on the accident.

Administrator

From here

the GS was nowhere near the real one (it was totally off scale at EGHH).

My experience is that if you understand how your device deals with geodetic correction, it is absolutely bang on.

You should try switching it on or off and see which works for you.

Also, I have amended the database for the UK to perfect the GS. I my be able to send you a copy if I can find it.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I had the correction correct.

I actually could not see why the GPS-ILS GS should differ from the GS of the real ILS of an ILS airport, but my comms with the developer went dead.

If this has been fixed within the last year or so, that’s great. After all, the real ILS GS has been surveyed properly.

Administrator

GPS-ILS only uses GNSS information, it does not use ILS GS.

EGKB Biggin Hill

No, obviously it uses GPS, but there is no reason why its GS rendering should be on a different slope to the real ILS GS.

AFAIK, GPS-ILS renders the GS using a straight line from the FAF to the MAP (or something similar) whereas the real ILS GS runs on a different line.

Is there a way to find out exactly where the real ILS GS lies, short of flying the approach and logging it?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message