Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do Instrument hours in the CPL course count towards the EIR?

@hfl THank you for sharing. I sent you a PM.

jkv
EHEH

I’m currently doing the CBIR as well, with no previous instruments hours before I entered into the course. However, you need 50 hours of PIC cross-country time. Before starting the course, there’s an assessment flight in order to assess your actual basic instrument flight skills, based on which you can be credited maximum 10 hours compared to the full IR (hence the 40 hours minimum).

I’m doing it at an ATO at EHLE, partly in a FNPT2 simulator, with actual flights going to to EHGG/EHRD/EHKD. The practical training at this ATO is highly recommended, very good standard in my opinion. Lelystad is a long drive from Eindhoven, but send me a PM if you need more info.

hfl
EHLE, Netherlands

You can start a CBIR with 0 instrument hours (as I did).

Somehow it seems that the “competency based” is a misnomer that leads to confusion as to what this route to the IR really means. It is just a more flexible ruleset that takes prior experience into account, but that doesn’t mean it is required to have prior instrument flying experience.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 04 Jan 22:55

Ok, CBIR would be the way to go. Unfortunately I don’t have enough instrument hours to start the CBIR if i’m correct.

jkv
EHEH

I don’t think getting the hours is the most difficult. You could always do some sim time.
The problem is getting up to standard and completing the check ride. As Noe’s writing getting it done in minimum hours is difficult.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

jkv, I did my CBIR in 4 weekends (of of them 3 days), from IR(R) rating (and I was a bit rusty). The EIR would probably have taken 2. I think it only makes sense getting the EIR first if you see a fairly large gap between both.
I think I credited (some of / all?) my IR(R) training hours for the minimum required for the CBIR, so I only needed the 10 ATO hours (but ended up doing 20 including the exam). My IR(R) instructor wasn’t a IF instructor as far as I know.

Totally agree, if you are going for a full IR the EIR is a total waste of time and effort. I gather only 2 have been issued in the UK and France since it came in.

jkv wrote:

Ok, thank you. Would it be more wise to do the EIR first and work towards the CBIR, followed by the CPL course (which is only 15 hours since you have the IR).

1. Would it make sense?

No idea about the rules on hours, but if you want an IR, just do the CB-IR. Why bother with the EIR as you already have an IMC so don’t need an intro to instrument flight?

EGTK Oxford

Also note that I have already an IMC rating (which I don’t use, since I live in the Netherlands), which theoretically could save me 5 hours on the EIR.

The chances are that the IMC instructor was not eligible to train for an IR or EIR

(h) When the applicant for the EIR has completed instrument flight time under instruction with an* IRI(A) or an FI holding the privilege to provide training for the IR or EIR these hours may be credited towards the hours required in point (c)(2)(i) and (ii) up to a maximum of 5 or 6 hours respectively.

You would also need the Training Records from your IMC rating, from which you could determiner the instructors credentials

(2) The completion of the instrument flight instruction provided by an IRI(A) or FI shall be documented in a specific training record and signed by the instructor.

Last Edited by Tumbleweed at 03 Jan 00:49

Bathman wrote:

Why bother with the EIR at all?

I understand what you are saying. My only reason would be that I can use the privilege of instrument flying fairly quick. Taking the full IR course, would take me about a year I suppose, flying at weekends.

Also note that I have already an IMC rating (which I don’t use, since I live in the Netherlands), which theoretically could save me 5 hours on the EIR.

Ps. I say “theoretically”, since I might need more hours to gain the required level.

Last Edited by jkv at 02 Jan 18:40
jkv
EHEH
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message