Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do you feel you have no more interesting challenges?

I have a few aviation ambitions left although I have been flying for 29 years.
1. Change continents during a flight.
2. Canary Islands as there are 9 airports there. Ambition 1 would be fulfilled as well going via Morocco.
3. Iceland.
4. Venice. Still haven’t been there.
5. Croatia through the eastern Alps and Austria.
6. Florida to Barbados.

EGLK, United Kingdom

Colin wrote:

Canary Islands as there are 9 airports there.

Madeira, while you are in the area?

EGKB Biggin Hill

You could tick 5. off your list very easily and with much satisfaction, @colin

We might do Venice (LSPV) May next year for the fly-in.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have done Florida in my PA28-181 – last in April 2017

Ft.Lauderdale – Stella Maris – T&C (day 1); T&C – PR – St.Croxley (day 2); St.Croxley – Barbados (day 3)

Under 13 hours in the air, ten hours faster than the first time I did it in 2012. On the way down lots of into the wind so was really pleased with the flight time.

2012 – was my first solo since my PPL check ride in 2011 – no planes here to rent so I bought one in New Jersey and flew it down here (well not first solo I did three solo touch and goes at the airport in NO first) – first leg to NJ through the corner of the Washington DC zone, 600 ft over Kitty Hawk. It took six days for the whole trip.

The 2017 trip was more fun – the airplane was in the US for three years getting rebuilt – during that time a couple of BFR’s but no other flying – first solo in three years.

The trip is quite straightforward – long legs over water of a few hundred miles in places – somewhat scenic:) the Caribbean is a good place to do long trips, raft GPS PLB, jacket etc needed of course in case you have to go swimming.

Have done a few longish trips in the past year – up to Tortola, the St Barths for the annual – did the special landing training on St Barths, very scary – good thing it is 400 miles away and the training wears off after six months an good excuse not to have to land there:)

Barbados
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message