Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do you really want this in your propeller TKS system?

If the heater is on, some small amount of the spray enters the cockpit.

I think I am going to not use the heater if using prop TKS…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How do you prevent your windscreen from freezing? Choices, choices…

EGTF, LFTF

Propylene glycol is very similar to ethylene glycol. For use in systems like TKS, the two most important characteristics would be corrosivity and viscosity. Neither is corrosive, and their viscosity at cockpit temperatures is about the same. A significant difference in viscosity appears at very low temperatures (like below –15°C), but that’s where icing is rarely a factor.

On a different note, ethyl alcohol was used in deicing systems for decades, and I suspect the only reason why it isn’t used today is the abuse potential. Soviet aircraft used it all the way until the advent of electric deicing systems. Allegedly, in the era of WW2, someone proposed to switch to a different fluid to prevent ground personnel from getting drunk, but the idea was quickly abandoned as it was obvious they’d still try to drink it, and a drunk mechanic is better than a dead mechanic.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I am not sure about -15C… see my fuel servo post

One thing which may be of concern is that any stuff entering the cockpit will have been heated up and possibly baked inside the exhaust sleeve heater system.

How do you prevent your windscreen from freezing?

I have never had it freezing. I wonder why? Maybe heavy breathing is what does it

Administrator

You know that urea is also a very effective anti-ice substance? Maybe that would be a good use for all those bottles you proudly carry on your 7h legs?

Somehow urea doesn’t sound like something I’d like having coming out of my heater, either!

EGTF, LFTF

I read about the new warning labels in ‘welt kompakt’ in Frankfurt.
This is a worldwide change in labeling. They have changed the standards what to label and how.
According to the article it looks all worse than before as they have taken the most stringent labeling from US.

United Kingdom

Somehow urea doesn’t sound like something I’d like having coming out of my heater, either!

Are you sure?

Now, how one is going to get it into the TKS reservoir when airborne, that’s a challenge

Administrator

Thanks for sharing that…

EGTF, LFTF

I use a peach ice tea bottle. Someone asked me in Coventry, why I would chuck away a half full bottle of iced tea. The colour is nearly the same. lol

United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message