Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does anyone know the story behind this baby?

There is a really cheap SR22 G3 for sales on PlaneCheck. The cockpit and avionics look tip top. The wings seem to be missing and the ad does not mention them. Likewise the engine.

Does anyone know the story behind this airplane? Why is it in its present condition? What is really the condition? Where are the wings? Why does the asking price not even cover the value of the avionics?

LFPT, LFPN

Probably a chute pull (though not the famous one where the elderly pilot got “disoriented” on the approach to Gloucester). Can’t see the reg so no way to check.

If it was a chute pull, one would have no idea if the avionics and all its sensors are still working properly. The “Perspective” being unique to the Cirrus, you can’t most of the avionics in any other aircraft type.

IMHO a good one to build a sim. Don’t know if I would install these avionics in a real airplane.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 Feb 20:57
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

No chute pull . Looks like an off airport landing that damaged the gear, prop and wings.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Impossible. We all know that

• If you hate Cirrus: Cirrus pilots are poorly trained rich idiots incapable of landing with an engine out, hence they need the parachute
  • If you love Cirrus: Cirrus pilots must pull the chute immediately on engine failure because it is much safer

:-)

And if you are a rational, less emotional pilot between these two extremes, you are probably too rational to buy this “project”…

Joking aside – what is the cost of a new wing and undercarriage? And engine? Can this even remotely be an economical rebuild, given that these parts probably have to be bought from Cirrus (it will be hard to find another wreck with the wings intact).

Biggin Hill

It is a mystery why so cheap

The tail number is covered up

but you can see whose hangar it is in (and would one transport such a plane to them to dispose of, from another country?)

The avionics alone must surely be worth more

Don’t know if I would install these avionics in a real airplane.

We have many posts on this here. They seem to re-use the avionics after a chute pull, after a bench test. I agree I would not want them either, but once they bench test OK and get fresh 8130-3s, the next person won’t know anything about it. The kit most likely finds its way into the extended warranty pool – you see some amazing stuff in there! I could tell one really funny story…

though not the famous one where the elderly pilot got “disoriented” on the approach to Gloucester

I think the above chute pull is this one, posted here before

Also here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Prob the one that pulled over Gloucester no?

EGTK Oxford

The one in a landing mishap at Gt Massingham?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

N124CP report

Yes, the colour scheme is the same one

and the year is only one year out relative to the advert

what is the cost of a new wing and undercarriage? And engine? Can this even remotely be an economical rebuild, given that these parts probably have to be bought from Cirrus (it will be hard to find another wreck with the wings intact).

Agreed, but the avionics should be worth a lot more than 20k. Unless there is a policy change on their re-use. The normal UK procedure following an insurance claim and a payout (an assumption here) is that the insurer sells it for what they can get for it, but they are not usually really stupid.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Most of the avionics are standard LRUs for the G1000 and should be usable in any aircraft without much issue.

The PFD / MFD have a market limited to Cirrus, so do the keypad and the autopilot header. The PFD/MFD internals are also bog-standard G1000, but the packaging is different, and you can’t swap these things outside the Garmin support network.

Does a used marked even exist for these?

Last Edited by Cobalt at 13 Feb 21:17
Biggin Hill

2008 aircraft as that was the first year Cirrus had the G1000. Believe it was Alan Sugar’s plane….

EGBB
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message