Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does flight time in Annex 2 (now called Annex 1) and UL to count towards EASA PPL currency

I’m just starting my second year, when I need the hours for revalidation.
They’ll probably be all Jodel and Bolkow Junior. There’ll be more than 12 Bolkow.
Is the person validating my log book to check the registration, to know it’s not an EASA BO208, but is on an LAA Permit?
One of the Jodel Group is an Instructor. Would an hour in the Jodel, with him acting as Instructor, count? (I’m well aware that I can fly and log P1 with an Instructor or Examiner who is not acting in that capacity, but is a pax.)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Apparently..in the IAOPA June 2018 Newsletter :
“Annex II flight time. EASA has now agreed to the use of ‘Annex II (a)-(d)’ aircraft for training, testing, revalidation and renewal purposes, provided that the NAA issuing the licence, rating or certificate has assessed and approved the aircraft to be used. This amendment will probably appear in the Aircrew Regulation when the Decision following Opinion 05/2017 come into effect”.

now what are ‘Annex II (a)-(d)’ aircraft.

Southend, United Kingdom

trevor_s wrote:

Just about everything except microlights/UL

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

trevor_s wrote:

They have changed that name recently, actually before June 2018…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

From the current EAS newsletter:

Last Edited by boscomantico at 04 Dec 06:57
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Just received the last newsletter for EAS, and this thing looks a bit clearer. First, the heading of this thread is confusing at best, misleading I would say.

CREDITING OF HOURS FLOWN ON ANNEX I AIRCRAFT – LIGHT AT THE END OF
THE TUNNEL?
Rudi Schuegraf, Senior EAS Vice-President, brings us up to date
For more than five years Europe Air Sports lobbied and actively cooperated with EASA to
get clarification on the crediting of hours flown on aircraft which, under Annex I (former
Annex II), were not regulated by the European regulatory system. Some Member States
(MS) like Germany allow EASA licence holders to operate Annex I aeroplanes, except
microlights, and credit those hours towards the requirements of Part FCL (Flight crew
licensing). Other Member States require a separate national licence. The introduction of a
common regulation was rejected in 2015 by a majority of Member States on legal grounds.

EAS re-initiated the discussion last year.
EASA and the Member States this time
supported the case and in July 2018 a small
group of MS representatives and EAS
started to draft the necessary amendments
to the EASA Opinion 06/2015. During a
focused consultation in October, EASA
introduced the result to the majority of MS
authorities who accepted and agreed to the text of the amendments. These clarify and
allow the use of aircraft covered in Annex I a-d of the new Basic Regulation for
 Flight Instruction,
 Checking and Testing and
 Crediting of hours flown on all Annex I aeroplanes
For the crediting issue an acceptable means of compliance (AMC) was drafted and endorsed
which says:
All hours flown on any aeroplane registered in an ICAO Contracting State shall count in full
towards fulfilling the hourly requirements of this Part as long as the aircraft matches the
definition and criteria of the respective Part-FCL aircraft category as well as its class and
type ratings.
This time EASA publically confirmed that aeroplanes called three axis microlights also fall
under this AMC.
But …. but, before the amendments come into force, the legal services will scan the
proposal, hopefully without changing the main content. The intention is that the EASA
Committee will discuss and vote positively in February 2019, to have the regulation
published in summer before the new parliament is elected. This means that some
uncertainty remains and pilots cannot rely on this AMC before the regulation has
been formally published.
We will keep you up-to-date about further proceedings. Please be patient. The complete
EASA presentation can be downloaded from here.

Today this is a national thing. Some member states (Germany, Norway Sweden etc) allow EASA license holders to operate Annex I aircraft (a to d excluding UL) and counting hours etc on equal terms as EASA planes, while others don’t. No EASA wide ruling exists. As I remember there was talks about restricting this or something by EASA some 4-5 years ago (maybe that opinion 06/2015?)

The new thing now is that “3 axis microlight” also will be included, by EASA . That is including the (e) in the list. So the new EASA wide ruling will include (a) to (e of Annex I. This means flying a microlight with EASA FCL also will “count” (3 axis only). This will be in force from the summer if all goes well.

The complete EASA presentations can be found here (link in the news letter).

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

OK, a bit of double posting here. Looked through the bundle of presentations, and it’s only one that is of interest. There is no way to upload a document on this site though.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

misleading I would say.

There is no way to upload a document on this site though.

Really?

I think Bosco’s post covers it, no?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This time EASA publically confirmed that aeroplanes called three axis microlights also fall under this AMC

That’s the real dynamite.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

This time EASA publically confirmed that aeroplanes called three axis microlights also fall under this AMC

Does this mean that e.g. in Sweden we will be able to fly microlights (three axis) on the EASA license? Without having to get issued the separate UL license and pay the extra annual fee?

ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message