Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Doing your own oil change

As I’ve just received my first oil analysis from Blackstone Labs I’m thinking about doing my own oil change. :-)

Blackstone recommends changing the oil every 35 hours and not wait until 50 hours. That’s also what most people on COPA (pilots of Cirrus aircraft) recommend.

However, it appears that at least in Germany the idea of changing the oil frequently and also do an oil analysis is seen as unnecessary and not very popular. It seems that most shops rather recommend the 50 hours inspection and do the oil change as part of that.

If I’m not mistaken under FAA registration (N tail number) only the annual and the 50 hrs oil change interval is mandatory for an owner-flown aircraft.

So I am thinking about doing an oil change every 35 hours somewhere myself and inspect the Cirrus recommended items and lubricate (what Cirrus lists as factory recommended 50 hours items) at a shop that is close to where I happen to be. I do understand that at first glance shops would not like that but I hope that the one which I end up using for the annual will understand the special need.

Who does the oil change himself/herself? What environment do you recommend for doing that? Could you do it just there on the open apron or do you require a hangar? What airport rules may get in the way?

In any case I see myself flying frequently along the route from Sabadell towards Germany. So places like Bremgarten where Meier Motors is located might also be good for doing this. Probably one on here will recommend doing it there.

Frequent travels around Europe

Just do it. Watch how they do it in the shop and then do it yourself. The shops don’t mind, they won’t sell you oil with 50% markup but they will take the same flat fee for a 50/100h check and don’t have to spend the time doing the oil change so not a bad deal for them.

I’d be careful doing it on the apron. It is easy to spill oil. I’ve been doing mine for years and it takes me about 45 min in total for the oil change and associated checks.

However, it appears that at least in Germany the idea of changing the oil frequently and also do an oil analysis is seen as unnecessary and not very popular. It seems that most shops rather recommend the 50 hours inspection and do the oil change as part of that.

Obviously. They make money on that.

If I’m not mistaken under FAA registration (N tail number) only the annual and the 50 hrs oil change interval is mandatory for an owner-flown aircraft.

1. It has nothing to do with owner-flown or not. Rather, it has to do with the operating regime you are under.
2. Under Part 91, only the annual inspection is mandatory. 50-hour inspections and separate oil changes are completely optional.

So I am thinking about doing an oil change every 35 hours somewhere myself and inspect the Cirrus recommended items and lubricate (what Cirrus lists as factory recommended 50 hours items) at a shop that is close to where I happen to be. I do understand that at first glance shops would not like that but I hope that the one which I end up using for the annual will understand the special need.

Some do, some don’t.

Who does the oil change himself/herself? What environment do you recommend for doing that? Could you do it just there on the open apron or do you require a hangar? What airport rules may get in the way?

Will entirely depend on the airport and its “surroundings”. Generally: what’s not forbidden, is allowed.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 05 Sep 09:41
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

but they will take the same flat fee for a 50/100h check

You mean just for the place in the hangar, materials and the use of their tools? I can hardly believe that this true for the majority of shops. That would make it utterly unattractive for many customers.

A simple 50-hour check (done by the shop) costs about 550€ for an SR22.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 05 Sep 10:26
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I always do it myself, as do most Rotax operators. In the usual hangar, at the usual parking place. As everybody around is doing it, there’s plenty of equipment around, to begin with a barrel sawn in two lengthwise and mounted on castoring wheels, to collect the oil. Do cover the floor with cardboard or so, oil stains are hard to remove from the polished concrete.

Secondary actions: change oil filter, and later ritually tear it apart to check for bits of metal. Also remove magnetic bit, again check for metal particles.
Every other oil change, change half the spark plugs.

Point of attention: do NOT try to remove the very last drip of oil, do not even turn the engine around to pump oil out of it, this is likely to introduce a bubble of air which might be hard to get rid of (the oil cooler is topmost, and closed).

As for the 35/50 h argument: what does the engine manufacturer say? Myself am in no hurry to change the oil: every time you open the cowl is an opportunity for mistakes – mistakes with possibly dire consequences. And the oil I get out is usually quite clean, not virgin golden/yellow anymore but not pitch black either. I intend to recycle it in my van’s diesel engine.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

boscomantico wrote:

A simple 50-hour check (done by the shop) costs about 550€ for an SR22.

Yes and in addition to that they charge the oil per bottle/liter. If you tell them to not perform an oil change, they will usually charge the same 50h fee. That was my point.

My main concern is the practicality of going always to the same shop. That certainly works well if the shop is around 1 hour flight away but it becomes more challenging if not.

I don’t want to do “shop hopping” either, because I already got some hints that they don’t like that. One reason as I’ve been told is the need to check the paperwork for 50/100 hours inspections and find out which ADs/SBs do apply before being allowed to release the aircraft. So they seem to prefer to know the plane and be the only ones doing work on it. That, of course, also depends on the registry and their experience with it.

So I’m trying to figure out my options in the case I end up flying as much as it looks at the moment. If I do, my case is probably a rare one. I was told at a shop that the aircraft they had in the hangar at that point in time at most are flown mostly between 20 to 50 hours per year and they were all on the German registry (D). I’m not in that category :-)

I’m trying to build a relationship with one shop or a single A&P IA for the annual and more serious work. For everything else like oil change and lubrication I want to do this as fits “on the road”.

Don’t change shops/IAs for your annual, that would be very painful. However, I see no problem doing oil changes / 50h checks outside that environment. Buy yourself filters, DC lubricant, safety wire, safety pliers, an oil filter torque wrench, a form-a-funnel and some oil sample kits and you’re ready to do it anywhere, yourself or with somebody’s help who does not have to be an aircraft technician. If you know how to do it on a car, you can do it on an aircraft.

I’ve done several oil changes thousands of miles away.

If you know how to do it on a car, you can do it on an aircraft.

Second that. Actually I do both, but the plane is a good deal easier.
No need to lie on your back to loosen the drain plug, to begin with.

Last Edited by at 05 Sep 13:42
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

achimha wrote:

Don’t change shops/IAs for your annual, that would be very painful. However, I see no problem doing oil changes / 50h checks outside that environment.

Yes, that’s what I’m thinking about doing.

I admit that I have a bit the feeling that an owner-pilot of a SEP should be able to do these things. Especially when one doesn’t only fly when the sun is shining to eat the $100 burger :-)

When I was living in Panama I’ve driven my Jeep numerous times through rivers and had to dug it out of the mud here and there … so the oil change doesn’t scare me. Just need to get the opportunity for doing it the first time.

16 Posts
Sign in to add your message