Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dynon Skyview HDX got an FAA STC

LeSving wrote:

The way I see it, the only thing Dynon lack now is a certified IFR GPS/flight system.

Dynon also lacks a box in order to interface with radios like KX165/155 (analog). In the experimental world, everybody will use a GNS/GTN/IFD (arinc) or an SL30 (serial). In the certified world, the BK boxes are everywhere and so they will also need to have such interface available.

Belgium

Can’t be hard. The KX boxes output composite for NAV (an audio-band signal, easy to decode into the H and V deviations with a fast micro, or an analog circuit) and have RS232 inputs for frequency loading.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Indeed, not very hard. Some have that already (e.g. aspen, garmin). But it is just missing in the today’s offering of Dynon in order to enter the certified market. 16K is already a major expense. I am sure that not many will want to install a new NAV/COM if a KX155/165 is already installed.

Belgium

For the radio part of a KX155/165, all you need is an audio panel. Can’t the Dynon take the standard analog deviation signal for the VOR and GS?

Last Edited by achimha at 24 Jul 11:28

Yes, the KX radios below the 165 don’t have analog deviation outputs. Classically they need a KN72 box which decodes the composite signal into the lateral deviations for VOR or LOC. They optionally contain a GS receiver which does have the analog deviations. The 165/165A contains a KN72, in effect, so in addition to composite out it has the analog deviations.

An audio panel (“intercom”) doesn’t handle NAV//VOR/GS signals. It just picks off the audio part, and deals with driving headsets etc.

At least that’s my understanding. Maybe a bit too much detail for this thread but it shows this stuff can be a lot of work if you want to play with certified avionics.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

But also the functionality of modern IFR GPS boxes is substantial

But does it need to be? These Dynon Skyview boxes already have tons of auxiliary functionality, and they are already certified. What remains is a tiny database of waypoints. Navigation is a dead simple thing after all. If you shave away everything, and are only left with what is needed for practical GPS based IFR. What would the simplest system need to contain?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Just found this one:

As said, the panel contains a BK NAV/COM and labelled INOP!

LeSving wrote:

Navigation is a dead simple thing after all. If you shave away everything, and are only left with what is needed for practical GPS based IFR. What would the simplest system need to contain?

An IFR GPS navigator needs to implement the ARINC424 legs, not the simple point to point navigation of your non certified GPS.

Belgium

ploucandco wrote:

An IFR GPS navigator needs to implement the ARINC424 legs, not the simple point to point navigation of your non certified GPS.

Yes, well I refuse to believe ARINC424 is rocket science It’s only a database standard, a file format, according to Wikipedia. I guess the “complexity” consists of nothing more than curved legs and similar stuff that even the cheapest toy drones have. It’s just not obvious to me that a certified IFR GPS needs to be complex if it does only the core stuff. I don’t see what the complexity is about.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

SkyView HDX can do it all:

Primary Flight Display with Synthetic Vision and Angle-of-Attack
Approach capable Autopilot
Engine Monitor with all EGTs/CHTs, Lean Assist, and Fuel Computer
Mapping with Flight Planning, ADS-B Traffic and Weather, and Electronic Flight Bag
Mode S Transponder with 2020-compliant ADS-B Out
and much more…

http://www.dynonavionics.com/certified/

Luckily there is someone out there pulling the rug underneath avionics price levels….

16k in green bills, plus install.

That might make buying a shagged steam gauge bird an option!

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany
Sign in to add your message