Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dynon Skyview HDX got an FAA STC

Does the Dynon AP do ILS?

A quick google finds this where the D10/D100 probably doesn’t (there is a reference to “radio”) but the Skyview one says it does via the Expert interface.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Dynon Skyview HDX is really interesting. Seen a lot of installations on social media/YouTube and it’s really convincing. We had our eyes on Aspen for a future upgrade but now it’s on Dynon HDX instead.

Does anyone know about the EASA STC status?

Last Edited by Jonas at 31 Jul 08:26
ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Another review.

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Jonas wrote:

Dynon HDX

Looks like a good options in case one does not spend the money for a Garmin 500TXI (for whatever reason). Some good illustration in the video, where they saved money compared to Garmin. E.g. if you watch at about 36:10 you can see that the computing power is clearly very low for the synthetic vision: The image of the runway is stuttering significantly where Garmin is really smooth.
(Not saying that one needs a smooth motion or even that one needs SynVis at all – just pointing out the difference where Dynon saved money)

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

Looks like a good options in case one does not spend the money for a Garmin 500TXI (for whatever reason).

I’d say it’s comparable to G3X touch for certificated aircraft, i.e. no DME, ADF, etc.
Although it appears that HDX can support some light twins. And it is much cheaper!
Does anyone know what kind of software they use?

EGTR

I’ve been involved in a lot of hardware/software projects and I am not convinced the poor rendering is due to cheaper hardware.

More likely different priorities on how slick things should be. If I was developing this, I would settle for nothing less than absolutely totally slick and smooth – because that is what every modern punter with a smartphone expects. And for $8 you can get a 150MHz ARM with more IO and DMA channels and other stuff (the reference manual is about 2000 pages) so there is no excuse. The display is hardly specially hi-res.

But… time to market is one issue, plus you have to keep programmers excited about the Next Job, not spend a year polishing the Current Job (looks bad on the CV).

Most of these boxes are Linux based, because you get a load of nasty horrible stuff done for you: USB, ethernet, TCP/IP, wifi, bluetooth, etc. Or Windows XX “embedded” was popular.

Administrator

Peter, is that some sort of special Linux? Not sure how can you get it certified otherwise.

EGTR

Dynon Skyview is LINUX based. Well, you can always boot windows on it! Did that once with an external USB flash just for fun.

The main issue that I see is that Dynon is extremely slow to come up with their autopilot solution for a wide range of aircraft (only C172 and Beech P..V35B at this time). I would have expected that to be way way faster. Well, the COVID situation in the US is not helping, for sure.

Belgium

No idea, but the earlier mentioned avionics which use Windows also got fully IFR certified despite various people saying this is impossible, so clearly there is more to this.

If you don’t use some common OS you might use one of the RTOS (real time OS) products. I have never used one of those; I once wrote an RTOS from scratch and in a current project we are using an RTOS which comes with a STM CPU development board (FreeRTOS)

Administrator

The Garmin GNS480 (fully IFR certiied) is based on version of windows NT embedded.

Belgium
Sign in to add your message