Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA and FAA-PMA parts

Of course the best solution is for the airframe manufacturer (TC holder) to update the IPC from time-to-time with alternative part numbers..,.in this way Mooney for example have added Concorde batteries, fuel pumps, switches, alternators etc…

Also, @Michael, I believe (in the FAA system) that as long the replacement part conforms to the relevant TSO (such as Navigational lights for example), then it can be used?

AC23-27 refers….

applies to small aircraft type certificated before January 1,1980, that have a maximum certificated weight of 12,500 pounds or less, fixed wing, un-pressurized, reciprocating engine or sailplanes. Follow-on type certificate (TC) models of the same aircraft, or a derivative thereof, which may be assigned a later TC date, also meet this criteria.

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 24 Dec 14:09
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Michael wrote:

No, otherwise what good is the eligibility list good for ?

That was exactly my point. It seems to me that this fuel pump shouldn’t be installed on FAA nor EASA Socata aircraft. The topic seems to bash against EASA maintenance companies.

A_and_C wrote:

This sounds to me like people are going way over the top with the concerns about PMA parts, I don’t think there would be a Cessna flying in Europe if you removed the PMA parts manufactured by McFarlane from the fleet.

Sure, and this is totally legal. The difference that are constantly being suggest between FAA and EASA don’t excist or are much smaller then suggested here.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

The topic seems to bash against EASA maintenance companies.

Really? I cannot see any bashing going on.

If a maintenance company wants to post informatively on EuroGA they are welcome to. They know the business and they should know the regs, so if they choose not to say anything, that’s their problem. Everybody in the business knows how it works…

It is also incredibly unlikely a TB9 owner would change the pump himself – not exactly a trivial job – and fit the wrong one when an exactly identical one with the “right label” can be sourced so easily, after 10 seconds on google!! It reminds me of that old joke about a banknote forger printing £9 notes instead of £10 ones…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Really? I cannot see any bashing going on.

I was pointing to this:

Peter wrote:

However I have just read a disturbing story of a UK maintenance company forcing a G-reg TB9 PMA fuel pump to be replaced before they will sign off the Annual.That is 1000 quid chucked out, just for a laugh. The item is a FACET 476284E fuel pump, which was replaced with a PMA part.

It doesn’t matter that this is a UK maintenance company. If an IA would made the same comment on this pump on an N reg, he would have a valid point as well, Michaels post support that the eligiblity is also to be followed on N reg. So it has nothing to do with EASA / UK / G-Reg

So in the past someone might have put the wrong pump in, this could be anyone as the story doesn’t tell. This is the disturbing part, not the company trying to correct this.

It still could be legal, if it has approved in a different way, using an STC, minor change, or as AnthonyQ mentioned trough the TC holder. In those cases there should be documentation to show this.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

But if there isn’t, or it is insufficient, the owner (in 99.9% of cases) would never realise there isn’t.

I know a UK 145 company which thinks they can write out a 337 for a job on an N-reg and stick it in the logbook.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

But if there isn’t, or it is insufficient, the owner (in 99.9% of cases) would never realise there isn’t.

When outside CAMO the owner is 100% responsible for this kind of things. This is also why I think it would be better to always have a good relationship with a maintenance organisation or engineer. Even outside of CAMO they can help you with this kind of issues. And the rules and regulations and all paperwork / manuals are very time consuming and expensive.

I think then most people who organize all maintenance themselfs, don’t have access to all manuals for example, and basically can not perform the job.

The fact is that customers often try to bring in their own equipment. Often without correct paperwork etc, to lower the pricing. In fact this is 99.9% more expensive then buying the equipment trough the maintenance organisation. The paperwork if their is quite often not acceptable etc.

A good example was with ELTs. Where I quoted Kannad ELT’s, and the customer found elsewhere a lower priced ELT (basic pricing). The it needed programming and shipping from the US (as hazardous material). I charge a fee for bring in equipment yourself, as it takes more time from me, and yes I also loose money trough this, while customers would come to me for warranty if something doesn’t function. Before installation I would check it, and found out that ELT programming is done incorrect. This means the ELT eithers needs to be returned under warranty (shipping both ways excluded from warranty) or you have to have it locally repogrammed. At that point your allready far more expensive.

Peter wrote:

I know a UK 145 company which thinks they can write out a 337 for a job on an N-reg and stick it in the logbook.

This damages European companies, as you suggest this happens all the time. For sure anyone could make mistakes, and some of them will commit fraud. This happens not only in the UK, not only on Part 145. It also happens in your business, American companies, certified aviation companies and mechanics. Your bad experiance with this company is not representative for every company or person working under EASA regulations.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Jesse wrote:

and some of them will commit fraud.

Funny you should bring this up: Just last week, I was contacted by the Gendarmerie. They want to talk to me about a plane that I inspected about 18 months ago. Seems the person that was “managing” the plane, as well as a dozen other planes, had been forging log—book entries and a mechanics’ License. He’s been in the slammer for the last 2 months and probably will do another couple of months before being tried for forgery and fraud.

I’m always surprised that almost no one ever asks to see my licence or do any due-diligence whatsoever .

Last Edited by Michael at 25 Dec 14:29
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

I’m always surprised that almost no one ever asks to see my licence or do any due-diligence whatsoever .

At least FAA certificates can be checked online by anyone…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

After some discussion elsewhere, it appears the answer to my question

“Can a pilot, performing maintenance within pilot privileges, substitute a PMAd or STDd part?”

is YES.

It has to be YES because if it was NO then we would have the ludicrous situation where a maintenance company could install e.g. a PMA oil filter (e.g. Tempest) but a pilot, exercising his pilot maintenance privileges, would have to source the original part listed in the MM (e.g. Champion, but it could be one which does not even exist anymore).

The LED lamp argument is not applicable, but if an LED was PMA for an incandescent lamp (P/N for P/N exactly) then clearly the pilot could install it. Also this is the wrong thread for LED lamps – there is a link above to the LED thread.

Administrator

See here for a document on acceptance of FAA-PMA parts. There is a “non critical” limitation on it.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message